Thinking Outside The Box

After printing the metal safety lock box that they had discovered underneath the floorboards of Eli Sheridan's office, Danny was now working on the lock. The only prints he'd managed to get so far belonged to the man himself, Eli Sheridan. No big surprise there. The lock on the box wasn't the best as far as lockboxes were concerned and it didn't take long to pick with the aid of a small Swiss knife. Removing the contents of the box Danny began looking through them. There were various types of legal documents including insurance policies, wills and social security cards. But it was the last document that captured his curiosity.

Adoption papers.

The Sheridan's had adopted Jeremy at birth. Danny checked the pile of legal papers once more to see if there were anything to suggest that perhaps Gracie had been adopted, too. But there were none. The name of the agency at the top of the official paper popped out at him, Forever Family Adoption Agency. He picked up his cell phone and speed-dialled Flack's number. Two rings and the Homicide Detective answered.

'Flack.'

'It's Messer,' Danny said into the mouthpiece. 'Found something, could be nothing; but could you see what you can find out?'

'Name it,' Flack replied.

'Got an adoption paper here for Jeremy Sheridan, dates back to his birth in '92. The agency is Forever Family Adoption.'

'Got it. I'll get back to you,' Flack responded.

'Thanks, Flack.' Danny closed the call and set his phone back down. Moments later he was still looking through the papers when the doors to the Trace Lab opened and Olivia came through carrying two Styrofoam cups of coffee. 'Mornin', Detective,' he greeted her.

She handed him one of the coffees and offered a smile. 'Thought you could do with this.'

'You're a lifesaver.' He accepted the cup with a grateful grin. 'No cinnamon twist?'

'They were fresh out. Be glad for that which you've been given.'

Danny peeled back the lid and took a sip of the steaming hot liquid. It was like an angel crying on his tongue. He sighed. 'How you feelin' today?'

Olivia knew from experience that the casual comment hadn't been made out of simple politeness. There was a lot of weight behind it. What had happened in the Sheridan's kitchen was still fresh on her mind. 'As good as can be, I guess.'

'You sleep?' he asked.

She shook her head. After taking a shower, she had poured herself a stiff drink, turned on the TV and sat on the sofa for the next two hours just staring at the screen. She remembered glancing at the clock once and seeing it was almost five in the morning, but she couldn't remember drinking half a bottle of Vodka. An hour later she'd been forcing her eyes open to the early morning news on CNN. They were still covering the Sheridan murders.

There were beginnings of hollow circles beneath her eyes. This case was affecting them all. But for Olivia it was something else. It felt like it was almost personal. Even after he'd left the Lab the night before and arrived home, Danny hadn't been able to shake off what had happened back at the house.

'How you getting on here?' she said, directing his attention away from her. 'See you managed to get the box open.' She took a sip of the coffee. It was already her third that morning and it was only just gone eight-thirty.

Danny put his cup down and handed her the adoption paper. 'Jeremy was adopted.'

Olivia took the paper and nodded. 'I know.'