Cold Light Of Day

The ringing of her cell phone woke Olivia early the next morning. She groaned and snaked a hand from underneath the warmth of the covers to grab the offending object from the nightstand. 'Cordukes,' she muttered, still half-asleep.

'Olivia, it's Mac. Did I wake you?'

'Mac.' She opened one eye, and saw the time. Almost six a.m. She suddenly remembered their plan to head back to the crime scene where they'd found Jack Gerrard's body. 'Damn, I overslept,' she said, somewhat puzzled by it. It was a first, for the last dozen years she had suffered from incurable insomnia.

'Don't worry about it. I thought you'd like to know there's been a development on the case Danny and Lindsay are working. The guy with no fingerprints, there's a connection with our vic.'

'As we thought,' she said, now fully awake and sitting up.

'That's not all,' Mac went on. 'Another body's been discovered. Local shipping yard. Similar circumstance. How soon can you get here?'

'I'm on my way,' Olivia said into the mouthpiece. She hung up just as another cell phone rang at the other side of the room. Beside her Flack stirred and for a brief moment she had forgotten he was there. Mac's phone-call and the news of a development hadn't left room for any other thoughts. His dark hair was tousled and he looked kind of cute as he stretched and opened his blue eyes to give her a sleepy smile.

'I imagined you looked just as hot first thing,' he said, his voice thick with sleep.

'Right back at you, Detective. Your phone's ringing.'

He groaned. 'Duty calls.'

They both climbed out of bed and while Flack answered his phone, Olivia went into the bathroom and took a quick shower. Five minutes later she was dressed in her usual work attire that consisted of grey pants, green T-shirt and a brown leather jacket. Her hair was wet, but as she didn't have time to blow-dry; she pulled it back into a ponytail. Flack was in the living room pulling on his shoes when she came through.

'Gotta dead body over on Eastern Parkway,' he told her. 'I'm seeing a connection to the two we had yesterday.'

'I'm headed there now. There's been a development on the case Danny and Lindsay are working, too.'

'Guy with no fingerprints?'

'Guy with no fingerprints,' she confirmed. 'It's beginning to snowball.'

Flack nodded. 'Could be a serial or mob-related.'

'Yeah. This is our third in two days. Something doesn't feel right. You ready?'

'Yup. Let's go.' They made for the door and as Olivia reached for the knob, Flack touched her arm. 'Hey. I just want you to know I had a great time last night and any other time, under normal circumstance, right about now I'd be in the kitchen serving up breakfast,' he added with a warm smile.

'Don't worry about it,' she told him smiling back. 'This is hardly your normal circumstance.'

'Got that right. Ever think you're in the wrong line of work?'

'Never,' she said and opened up the door.

'Why'd I have a feeling you were gonna say that?'

She smiled as she locked the door and they made their way down the hallway towards the elevator. 'Just for the record, I had a good time, too.'

'Glad to hear it. And whatever happens next is up to you. Whatever you want.' He liked her, he liked her a whole lot, but he wasn't about to rush into anything or pressure her. If all she wanted were a casual thing, then he would be up for that. What guy wouldn't?