Jimmy Edwards

'I told you,' Jimmy Edwards said for the third time, 'Vic and me were having a beer, next thing I know Mr. Marciano comes in and all hell breaks loose. I don't know what happened. Why the boss freaked out like that. He just dragged Vic out the bar and that's the last I saw of them.' 

'And neither you or anyone else in the bar thought to call the cops?' Flack asked. 

'There was only me and Mickey left by this time. And some old guy sitting near the back. He was too wasted,' Jimmy replied. 

'You didn't answer the question,' Mac said. He was standing behind Flack to the right of the small window in an interrogation room at PD, arms folded over his chest. It was almost nine-fifteen that night. After leaving the Neptune Diner  with Olivia, Mac had decided to sit in on Flack's second interrogation of Jimmy Edwards. He'd given Olivia the rest of the night off, told her to go home and been surprised when she hadn't argued. 

'Look,' Jimmy protested. 'I don't know what beef the boss had with Vic and I wasn't getting myself involved in something I knew nothing about.' 

'But you did know something,' Mac calmly said, but his look was one of steel. 

Jimmy turned his gaze on the detective standing by the window. 'No, I - ' 

'You already told us in your previous statement that Victor Gerrard was a stoolie for the Feds.' 

Jimmy's eyes darted to Flack and he shook his head. 'I never said that.' 

'I filled in the blanks.' Flack shrugged. 'I'm clever that way.' 

'And your reaction just now,' Mac added with a faint smile, 'gave us the confirmation we need to back it up.' 

Jimmy swallowed hard. 'Okay, okay, look...Mr. Marciano's a good boss - ' 

'We're not disputing his integrity as a boss, Jimmy,' Flack said, leaning back in the chair. 'It's his dealings outside work we're interested in. Tell us what you know.' 

'I told you, I don't know nothin'.' 

Flack gave him a whimsical smile. 'C'mon, play ball with us. What did Victor have on Marciano? Must've been something big for him to want the guy dead.' 

'I know nothing,' Jimmy insisted. 

'Marciano can't be paying you that much.' 

'I need this job.' As soon as he'd said it, he sighed and shook his head. It sounded like an admission of guilt. He was worried about losing his job. And of course, the prospect of what lay ahead for snitching on his boss worried him, too. The Marciano's were a big family. Flack knew all this. He decided it was time to up the stakes. 

'You married?' he asked him. 

'Yeah.' 

'Kids?' 

Jimmy began to look nervous. He swallowed. 'Two boys and a girl.' 

Flack nodded. 'Nice house that's mortgaged to the hilt?' 

'We get by. What of it?' 

'It's gonna be tough on your wife raising three kids and paying for the house while you're serving time for aiding a felony,' Flack told him. 

Pinpricks of sweat broke out on Jimmy's forehead. He was starting to break. But he wasn't ready to surrender just yet. He licked his lips, swallowed. 'I don't know what Mr. Marciano wanted with Vic,' he reiterated. 'And I don't know what Vic had on the boss.' 

'Then maybe you know why he borrowed your truck Wednesday night,' Mac intervened. 

'I didn't realise it was gone. We don't take the trucks home. I parked it in the usual spot in the loading bay and left. It wasn't until next morning I realised it'd been moved.'