Sweet Basil

'Ohhh, my stomach is bursting. No wonder I have a fat ass. I don't think I could eat another bite for at least a week.'

Olivia smiled across at Evan as the two of them strolled casually down Seventh Avenue, her arm linked through his. As arranged she had collected him from the Chelsea earlier that night and she had let him pick where they were eating; seeing as his firm were paying the expenses for the trip, he choose the ultra sophisticated confines of The Royal Circle a superb Chinese restaurant where they had just indulged in a four-course banquet and two bottles of Chablis.

'It's the first time I've been there,' she told him. 'Probably be the last.'

Evan turned his bright blue eyes onto her. 'The slurping noises coming from your side of the trough say different.'

'It was delicious, but a trifle expensive on my measly salary.'

'I didn't foot the bill. They work me like a dog it's the least they can do.'

'A beautifully preened dog with a non-existent ass.'

Evan chuckled, then glanced at his watch. 'It's only just after ten. Way too early to call it a night.'

'So let's call it a really late afternoon.'

'Let's find a club and go dancing,' he eagerly suggested.

'Nuhuh,' she shook her head. 'I have to be up early. This new case I'm working is turning out to be a nightmare.' She had regaled him with her account of the faceless guy case she and Messer were working. But only because she knew it would be fun to watch his horrified expressions. He hadn't let her down.

'Ugh. I swear, if I stumbled across a dead body that would be traumatic enough, but if it didn't have a face...' Evan shivered. 'Bleh. I don't know how you do it, I really don't.'

'I thought I'd seen everything until I saw that. Actually thought I was gonna hurl,' she said remembering the maggots and oozing flesh.

Evan patted her hand. 'Lucky for you you didn't. Imagine how that would've looked in front of your new boyfriend.'

'First up, Flack is not my boyfriend and second, I don't particularly care what he may or may not have thought if I had of upchucked.'

'You protest too much. You've been dating a while now.'

'We've been out three times, Evan.'

'And the collective term for that is dating.'

Olivia sighed. 'It's just a bit of fun. We go out, we have sex,' she shrugged, 'that's all it is.'

'Exactly. You go out. And fairly regular by the sound of it. Stop kidding yourself. You're on the verge of forming a full-on relationship with this guy and you know it. And why not? He sounds like a nice guy. In fact the way you described him he sounds scrumptious. A perfect gentleman, too.'

Olivia couldn't help but smile at that. She could almost picture Flack's face on being described as "scrumptious" and "the perfect gentleman" by her gay best friend. Messer would have a field day with that one too no doubt. When those two got together they were quite the double act.

'Maybe next time I'm in town I could meet him,' Evan casually snuck in. But Olivia was immediately onto him and gave him a playful nudge.

'Back it up there, Sparky. I'm not about to rush into commitment with him or anyone.'

'Say it like you mean it. You do nothing but work 24/7.' Evan went on before she got a chance to respond. 'No one would blame you if you decided to settle down into domesticity.'