Crossing Swords

'I'm about to teach a class,' bristled Marcus Christian, his arms folded over his chest. 

Flack and Olivia had arrived at the dojo within thirty minutes. Danny had been waiting for them. Going inside they found Christian decked out in his usual karate gear with a black bandana tied around his head. He'd been preparing for a class. 

'What, no good morning, nice to see you again, Mr. Christian?' said Flack. 

He only sighed. He was in no mood for the sarcastic Homicide Detective's idea of humor. 'Whatever it is you want, can it wait? I have students arriving in less than five minutes.' 

Danny pulled a sheet of folded official-looking paper from his inside jacket pocket. 'What we want is to search your premises.' He handed the warrant to Christian. He didn't take it.

'For what?'

'The warrant's fairly self-explanatory,' Danny said. 'I could read it to you but we're on a time frame here.' 

Christian gasped. 'You got a warrant? On what grounds?' 

'On the grounds that we have reason to believe you lied to us yesterday.' 

Marcus Christian turned his cool blue gaze onto Olivia, eyes narrowing. She didn't flinch, just continued to stare him down. 'About what, Detective?' 

'How many Katana you're packing,' she replied, just as cool. 

Christian lifted his eyes to the ceiling and shook his head. 'This is ridiculous and I'm sure it could also be classed as harassment,' was all he said. 

'Class it any way you want,' Olivia said. 'We have a warrant to search your business premises. How about we start with that back room over there?' She pointed to a door at the far end of the class. 

'It's a storeroom. I keep the crash mats in there,' he said. 

'Then you won't mind if we take a look,' said Danny who was on his way over. Sure enough when he opened it up there were just a pile of rubber mats in there. Danny closed up the door.

Flack turned to the dojo owner, noting the smug look on his face. 'What's upstairs?' he asked. 'More store rooms?' 

'Upstairs?' 

Flack pointed to the ceiling. 'Floor above us,' he said dryly. 

'My apartment. But you won't find - ' 

'Let us be the judge of what we may or may not find,' Olivia cut in. 'Lead the way.' 

'I believe you have a warrant to search my business premises. My home is - ' 

'We can always get another warrant, Mr. Christian,' Flack cut him off. 'But our time is precious. So if we have to do that then when we come back here we're only gonna start tearing the place apart. This way you let us inside your apartment and we keep the tearing apart to a minimum.' 

Christian looked agitated and a little defeated. But Danny waved the warrant beneath his nose and he knew he had no choice. He headed for the stairs that the three detectives had passed on the way in. They followed. Marcus Christian's loft apartment was the stereotypical bachelor pad. Granite flooring, black tubular furnishings, clinical white leather sofa and every state-of-the-art gadget a guy could need. HD TV, Tivo box, Bosch sound system - the works.

'Nice place you got here,' Flack said as they stepped inside the large and airy living area. 'Teaching martial arts pays well.' 

'I would offer you coffee,' Christian said flatly, 'but I'm not feeling very hospitable.'