Touch and Go

Friday dawned early for New York's finest. The crime lab was buzzing and only two hours into her shift, Lindsay needed a break. She and Hawkes had been assigned the case of a bike messenger who had been stabbed during his deliveries. It should have been a relatively straightforward case, except the guy hadn't dropped down dead when or where he'd been stabbed. In fact he'd carried on riding for another ten minutes before his heart finally gave out. Which meant that Lindsay and Hawkes had the unearthly task of finding the original crime scene. She sat in the break-room hugging a coffee and enjoying a five-minute breather; when Olivia came in yawning loudly, the door banging closed behind her.

'I'm boring you, already?' Lindsay kidded gently.

Olivia smiled as she went over to the coffee machine. 'Sorry. Too much racing through my mind.'

'And not enough sleep to counteract it,' Lindsay added giving Olivia a knowing look.

Olivia poured herself a strong, black coffee and sat down beside Lindsay. 'Ain't that the truth. C'mon then, hit me with it.'

'With what?'

'I know you're going to go all Zen Monroe on me.'

Lindsay chuckled. 'Nope, not today. Not when I'm guilty of it myself. Last time I got my full eight hours was...well, it was that long ago I don't remember.'

'So how's your day going?'

'Almost over.' Lindsay looked at her watch. 'In about ten hours,' she quipped.

Olivia sipped at the black liquid. 'I'm here until eleven.'

Lindsay sighed and leaned back in the chair gazing up at the high ceiling. 'Do you remember the days when you had a fulfilled and active social life?'

Olivia's smile was wry. 'Barely. My entire social life is based on once a week at the Blind Tiger with you guys and the occasional date with Flack. Very occasional.'

Lindsay dropped her head forward. 'How's that going?'

'Pretty great. He's a nice guy.'

'Uhuh.'

Lifting one eyebrow Olivia looked at her. There was a small grin playing on Lindsay's face. 'I've seen this look before,' she remarked.

'That's probably because I've heard that reply before. I think you like our tall, dark and handsome Detective Flack a little more than you're allowing yourself to let on.'

'He's fun to be with. Great in the sack, too.'

'Always a bonus,' Lindsay grinned and took a drink of her now lukewarm coffee. It was still strong, though. That was the main thing.

'Yeah,' Olivia murmured.

Lindsay gave her a puzzled look. 'What is it?'

Cradling her coffee in her hands, Olivia shook her head. 'I dunno, it's crazy...' She paused. 'Thing is...I've been thinking about someone else of late.'

'The guy you were out with Wednesday night?'

Olivia half-smiled. 'He's just a friend. A very old and dear friend. Who also happens to be gay.'

'Ah, Flack will be pleased to hear that. I think it was bugging him a little. This date you had. So...the other guy, you're not going to tell me who he is?'

'It's not that I don't want to, Linds, it's just...I can't.'

'Is he married? No, wait,' Lindsay held up a hand, 'don't answer that. That was me being nosey.'

'Forget about it. But no, he isn't married.' Olivia didn't want to get into the why's and definitely not the who's of it with Lindsay. Not when she was still dealing with it all herself. Besides, she really didn't want anyone knowing that she'd been thinking about her boss and not just in a work sense.