Something Fishy This Way Comes

Within two hours Olivia had compiled a list of seafood restaurants, mostly high-class, and had eliminated those that were too far out of the area. Once a murder had been committed nobody in their right mind would drive that far out of the city to dump the body. Then again to murder a person you had to be anything but in your right mind.

She picked up the list and was on her way to Mac's office when she saw Flack headed her way. He bobbed his eyebrows at her, smiling and Olivia couldn't help from giving him an appreciative once-over. The tall Detective always looked good. But today he looked really good. Or maybe it was because they'd spent most of the previous night rolling around her bed and all that great sex was clouding her rational thinking.

'How's it going?' he greeted. He stopped dead in front of her and she caught the rich aroma of his cologne and remembered the smell of it from last night.

'It's going and that's gotta count for something.'

'What you got there?' he asked nodding at the list in her hand.

'This,' she said waving the paper, 'is hopefully another piece of the Gerrard shootings jigsaw puzzle. Seafood restaurants,' she explained.

'Let me know how you get on.'

'No probs.' She moved by him and was heading towards Mac's office when Flack stopped her.

'Not there,' he explained. 'Passed him on the way in, mentioned something about interviewing a possible witness.'

'Damn. I guess I could check these out on my own,' she said thoughtfully, looking down at the list in her hand.

'Don't you usually need Mac's clearance?'

Olivia chewed on her lip. 'I do. I'll call him.' She retrieved her cell from her pocket and speed-dialled Mac. She got his voice-mail. 'Weird,' she said, 'he's not picking up.'

'Maybe he's out of the area,' Flack suggested.

She didn't bother leaving a message; and slipped the phone back into her pocket. 'I wanted to get a jump on this.'

'If you're keen I could come with you. It's not like I don't know the case,' Flack offered with a shrug.

'Would you mind?'

'You're driving.'

*

Fifteen minutes later Olivia was navigating the department issued SUV through the maze of streets that was New York. The city was a nightmare for drivers who lived there, so far someone like her who was still relatively new to the area it was an uncharted realm. The streets of Boston were tame compared to this.

'So what exactly we looking for?' Flack asked as Olivia swung the SUV around a sharp corner.

'High-class joints that look ripe for a warrant.'

'You an expert on seafood?'

'I eat it.'

Flack smiled. When they stopped at a red light, he took the opportunity to check her out. She was drumming her thumb against the steering wheel, other hand resting on the shift stick waiting for the light to change. He'd been thinking about her a lot that day. Last night had been amazing, although he was still a little surprised at the way it all happened so fast; but the memory of her in his arms was enough to shake away any doubts he may have had.

'C'mon, change,' he heard her mutter. She was impatient. Last night had cleared that one up. She was the exact kind of woman he liked. Strong, independent, career-minded and on top of that, smart and sexy. She was damn near perfect for him. The light turned green and Olivia hit the gas.