Mikey McCarthy

They arrived at the interrogation room where Flack was holding Mikey McCarthy and he was just as Flack had described: Nondescript and definitely no Dwayne Johnson. Danny slid a glance in Olivia's direction. The set of her jaw told him she wasn't pleased with what was waiting for them. The guy looked like he'd break a sweat jogging down Broadway, so if they were to believe that he had dragged a two hundred and eighty pound man across a stairwell...

Mikey McCarthy was a slight, wiry-looking guy with shoulder-length brown hair and wide-set gray eyes and looked to be in his early twenties. He was wearing faded jeans that had seen better days, a horror movie tee-shirt and a beaten up leather jacket. His hands were on the table before him and he was drumming his tattooed, nicotine-stained fingers against the steel surface. When the three Detectives entered the room he looked up.

'About frickin' time,' he said. 'What the hell's going on? You can't keep me locked up like this.'

'I think you'll find we can,' Flack informed him. 'You used a stolen credit card to pay for a motel room. There's no excuse for you, either. You've been here before so you should know by now - that's wrong.'

'Guy thinks he's a comedian. And like I told the mook at the motel the card belonged to my cousin,' McCarthy huffed.

'Okay, Mikey.' Flack sat himself opposite the young man. 'Or should I call you Tony? Maybe you prefer Andrew. You choose. I don't mind.'

McCarthy drew his brows together and stared hard at Flack. 'So I like to change my name. Is that a crime?'

'Not until you use it to get store credit,' said Flack. 'You're not as smart as you might think, Mr. McCarthy. Since you're only what, three weeks into your parole and already we've caught you out.'

'This is crap. So I use my cousin's card to get a room - '

'You just keep telling yourself that,' Flack smiled. 'We both know that isn't how it went down. We checked out the name on the card. Tony DiSantos is not your cousin. Tony DiSantos is a merchant banker from Pittsburgh who came to New York on a business trip last weekend and didn't realise he'd lost his card until four days ago. So where'd you find it?'

McCarthy shook his head and exhaled. 'Does it matter?' he said sounding bored.

Flack shrugged. 'Not really. You used it and that's enough for us to charge you with identity theft. Again. Some people never learn.'

'So why are these two here?' McCarthy wanted to know looking at Danny standing by the plate-glass window of the door, arms folded over his chest. He turned his attention onto Olivia who was standing just behind Flack. He gave her the once over, a curving grin lifting one corner of his mouth. 'Not that I'm complaining about her.' He hitched his chin at Olivia who just continued to stare him down. 'Hey, gorgeous.'

Flack lifted an eyebrow, giving him a cool look. 'These people are crime scene investigators, my friend.'

'You call in a bunch of forensic geeks to charge me with ID theft?' snorted McCarthy. 'Is that s'posed to scare me or something?'

'That depends,' said Danny. 'We geeks found your print at the scene of a homicide. You've been gettin' around, leaving crumbs, so I'd start worrying if I were you.'

McCarthy's sharp gray gaze met Danny's cool one. 'Someone died and you found my print? What does that have to do with why I was hauled in here?'

'It's called killing two birds with one stone,' said Flack.

'Whatever. So where'd you find it?'

'On an empty chip bag,' Olivia said.

Mikey McCarthy met her eyes and smirked. 'And that's it? C'mon, baby, you're gonna have to do better than that.'

Olivia leaned forward, resting both hands on the table and looked directly into the young man's eyes. 'Okay, how about on an empty chip bag found in the trash of a dead man's home. Better enough for you, baby?'

McCarthy's face paled before their very eyes. 'I want a lawyer,' he swallowed.

'That never sounds good, y'know,' Flack said.

'Do you know a woman by the name of Susan Tam?' Olivia went on.

McCarthy had begun to concentrate intently on a hangnail on his left thumb. 'No. Should I?' he said picking at it.

'You knew her well enough to be at her home a few days ago,' Danny put in. 'So what were you doing there?'

McCarthy let go of a snort. 'Are you people for real? You haul me in here and use your strong-arm tactics over a print on a freakin' chip bag? Do you have any idea how pathetic that is?'

'Aside from the fact that we're going to be charging you with fraud, again,' said Olivia, 'I'd say first-degree murder is anything but pathetic.'

'What?' gasped McCarthy, eyes wide.

'Now we got your attention, it's like this, Mikey,' Flack said leaning back in his chair, 'crime scene are all about the science. Me? I'm old school. So I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and allow you a few quiet moments of reflection, so that you can tell us your take on how your print came to be on that chip bag.'

McCarthy shrugged at the Homicide Detective. 'How the hell should I know? Maybe I was walking past the house and dropped it or something.'

'Let's go with "or something",' Flack said. 'When we said the bag was in the trashcan, we meant the can inside the house. Not the back yard. Care to reflect again?'

McCarthy exhaled heavily and shook his head. 'What do you want from me? What do you want me to say, huh?'

'You can start by telling us what you were doing four days ago in the home of wealthy businessman, Jason Tam,' Olivia said.

McCarthy's eyes ticked immediately downward. 'I told you,' he muttered. 'I...I don't know him and I don't know no Susan Tam, either.'

'That's not really answering my question.'

'Look, where's my lawyer? I gotta right to a lawyer,' he insisted.

'That's true,' nodded Danny. 'And we've gotta right to a sample of your DNA.' He pulled a swab from his inside jacket pocket and uncapped the plastic shield. 'Because that fingerprint places you at the scene, Mikey. That's reasonable grounds for an arrest warrant.' He waved the swab. 'Open up that smart mouth of yours.'

____________________________________________

COPYRIGHT. © ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. DebraJay. 2006