Blind-Sided At The Blind Tiger

It was almost a half hour later when Olivia showed at the Blind Tiger. She walked through the door to see Danny doing some sort of victory lap around the pool table, while Flack stood looking on shaking his head. Lindsay, who was perched on a stool with a glass of wine in front of her, waved her over.

'Hey, I was beginning to think you were camping out,' she said.

'I got a lead on the case I'm working with Mac. What's happening here?' Olivia gestured to the table.

'Don just endured a whupping, three games to one. Considering the smugness that is Danny Messer, he's taking it surprisingly well.'

'Flack, looks like you could do with some help,' Olivia said nodding at the table.

Flack's smile was instantaneous when he saw her. 'You made it. How about you give me a hand then?'

'That a challenge, Duke?' asked Danny. He stopped his victory lap when he heard Olivia's remark.

'Whatever you want,' she shrugged.

'Uhuh. Well, seeing as you're here, and as much as I'm all for team-sports, it just occurred to me that you and me, we ain't ever hustled.' He nodded at the table. 'Winner takes all.'

Olivia pushed her hands into the back pockets of her pants. 'What's in the pot?'

'So far, sixty bucks.'

She tossed a twenty bill onto the pool table. 'I'm in.'

'Watch yourself. He's good,' Flack advised her. She turned and flashed him a grin that had his pulse racing.

'He hasn't come up against me. Rack 'em up, Messer.'

Danny did just that while Flack ordered another beer and one for Olivia. She wandered over to the cue stand and after selecting one, chalked the tip. 'You wanna do the honors?' she asked Danny.

'Watch and learn, Duke.' He made the break and sank two right away. 'Boom! That's how it's done.' He winked at her and sank another two on his second shot. Olivia only watched on, her face expressionless. Behind her she heard Flack sigh.

'I really had high hopes for you.'

'Don't write me off just yet,' she said still watching Danny.

'You do realize if he wins we're never gonna hear the last of it,' Lindsay piped up.

'Don't worry about it, Lindsay,' Olivia said not taking her eyes off the game as Danny moved around the table. He sank one more ball and the white along with it and let out a small groan.

'You're up, Olivia,' Flack said.

Olivia took her place at the table and as she prepared to take her shot gave Danny a sly smile. 'Watch and learn.' She scrutinized the arrangement of the balls and was about to take aim when he stopped her.

'You sure you wanna do that? Wouldn't the orange top left work better?' he suggested.

He was trying to stall her, probably in the hopes of putting her off. But she aimed for the purple and sank it, top right. It gave her a nice screw-back on the pink and yellow and with one delicate shot she sank both balls easily.

'You go, girl,' Lindsay said and whistled.

'Doing great, Olivia,' Flack said clapping his hands.

'Beginners luck,' Danny snorted, folding his arms over his chest.

There were eight balls left, including the black and three of which were Danny's. Olivia had perfect placement to sink two of her four left, which she did effortlessly. Danny shifted from one foot to the other, scratching a spot behind his ear. Flack grinned at his friend.