Burn

Flack's eyes flickered open. His heart rate was slowly returning to what Doc Hammerback would consider a natural rhythm after almost going into cardiac arrest moments before. His body was sweating, aching and tired. He'd never felt more alive his entire life. A marathon sex session would do it to you every time. 

One of Olivia's legs was flung over his, one of her hands resting against his chest. Just like his her breathing was erratic. Her dark red curls were damp and clinging to her brow cheeks and he smoothed them back from her face. She made a murmuring sound and shifted closer, pressing her face into the curve of his shoulder. There was something so soft and intimate about the innocent move and it had Flack's heart flip-flopping. He wanted Olivia more than he'd ever wanted any woman and it wasn't just the sex, it was all of it. 

It scared the crap out of him. Because he knew it meant he was falling for her. The one thing she didn't want. She'd made it clear all she wanted was a no-strings casual affair. But each time he was with her, he got more and more involved. She wasn't his girlfriend, they weren't just friends...so what were they? Sex buddies? 

She was driving him crazy. He'd even ate that damn oyster back at the restaurant. No woman had ever made him do something he didn't want. She interrupted his thoughts at the most inopportune moments; when he was cuffing a suspect, making an arrest, interrogating a witness. The times they spent together, they laughed, they joked and had the most amazing sex he'd ever had. She didn't talk much about herself and he knew nothing of her family or her past. That first night he had asked about the tattoo on her shoulder. She had dismissed it and he didn't mention it again. But he wondered about the names. Just like he wondered about the three gold heart-shaped lockets around her neck.

Truth beknown he didn't know anything about her. Except that she was career-minded, strong and independent, she listened to Glenn Miller and had the ability to make him lose himself in a way he never thought possible. 

Her breath was tickling his neck and all he wanted to do was roll over and lose himself in her all over again. He wondered if he should back off, not spend so much time with her, other than the time they had to spend together while working. But he knew he couldn't do that. Because if he had his way they'd spend every waking moment together. 

She seemed content with the way things were. That got him thinking about this other guy. The one she had gone out with a couple weeks back. Was she content with him, too? Was she having sex with him? Did he too lie in this very bed wanting more from her? He didn't want to go there. He was having a hard enough time dealing with his growing feelings, without the idea of sharing her with another guy. He didn't know how someone could make love the way she did and not feel anything. The sex between them was incredible. Mind blowing, mostly intense, passionate and deeply satisfying. She clearly enjoyed the sex and he knew she enjoyed being with him, but other than that she had given him no signals that maybe, just maybe, she was starting to feel something for him the way he was her. 

Was it possible for two people to go on having sex with nothing other than that between them? Flack doubted it. No one could keep going like that; each moment you spent together pushed you farther away from strangers and more into intimacy. 

Like now.

He didn't want a sex buddy no more. It wasn't him. When he'd been younger, yeah; but not anymore. He was thirty-two years old and at the point that every man eventually reaches in his life: the time to think about settling down; find a nice girl, have kids...He closed his eyes, suddenly feeling restless and edgy. Damnit, this wasn't the way it was supposed to be. It shouldn't have happened like this. He should have been happy with what she was offering. He'd actually thought he could get involved with Olivia and just want what she wanted - sex.

In the beginning, yeah.

Back then he'd been so eager to have anything with her, he'd have agreed to anything. But the goalposts had shifted and he had never seen it coming. Now he wanted more. More than he knew she was prepared to give. 

She moved against him, sighed and dropped a kiss on his shoulder. He broke out of his reverie and looked down at her nestled in the crook of his arm. He realised at that moment just how much he was beginning to feel for her, because he wanted her there curled up against him for the rest of his life. Her beautiful green eyes, her infectious smile, her velvet soft skin against his.

'You still alive up there, Detective?' she murmured into his shoulder. 

Smiling, he ran a hand over her hair. 'I'd run get a mirror to do a breath check but I don't have any feeling in my legs.' 

She laughed softly and stretched against him. 'I wore you out,' she said almost proudly. 

'You definitely did something.' 

'Dispatch, we gotta four-two-two situation...' 

Flack chuckled. 'Officer down and no hope of getting back up.' 

She lifted her head and looked at him. 'That mean you're staying?' 

His warm eyes met hers. 'You want me to?'

'I like having you in my bed,' she said and snuggled closer. 

He loved the way she fit so perfectly into him, with the smell of her perfume and warm skin assaulting his senses. 'This all I am to you, Cordukes?' She was kissing his neck now. 'Body heat and great sex?' He was joking, but there was a hidden anxious undertone. He was waiting for a sign. For something. Anything that would give him a clue. Now her fingers were moving over his chest, her nails lightly scratching. She ran the tip of her tongue along his collarbone, her nose nuzzling against his ear. 

'What else is there?' she murmured. 

Her words slammed into his gut. Love. Commitment. Jesus, what was wrong with him? It was like she was the guy and he was the girl. He should be glad for what she was giving him. Any other man would be jumping through hoops. So why wasn't he again? 

Still kissing his neck, Olivia slid over him. Her mouth found his and she kissed him deeply, her hands in his hair. Flack groaned and cupped the back of her head, holding her mouth firmly in place. She tasted like wine and salt. It was an intoxicating combination. It had been only minutes since they'd made love but he wanted her again. 

The woman was killing him. In more ways than one.

The kiss grew deeper, longer and had him groaning into her mouth. Her hands were like licks of fire burning his body. He'd go stir crazy if she continued; he'd die if she stopped. Her mouth was hot and restless and her hands were all over him, everywhere. She kissed her way down his body and he bunched her hair between his fingers. 

'I don't know how you do this,' he managed to get out as she moved lower. 

'Do what?'

'What you do to me...make me want you so bad.' 

'I could stop.' She gave him a sly smirk; because they both knew that was the last thing he wanted.

'Don't even think about it,' he warned. 'Or I might have to take you in.' 

'You gonna cuff me?' 

'You bet.' 

She rested her chin on his abdomen to smile up at him. 'What's the charge?' 

He fingered her hair away from her face. 'Being too goddamn sexy.' 

'And if I resist arrest...?'

'I'll take you anyway.' 

She smiled that smile again. 'Not if I take you first, Detective.' She crawled back up his body and straddled him. Flack watched in awe as she rose up over him, shaking back her hair. His mouth went dry. Her eyes were glowing in the dark and he knew she had him. She had him exactly where she wanted him. He was powerless. Completely at her mercy. 

It was his last lucid thought as she took him inside of her.

______________________________________________

 COPYRIGHT. © ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. DebraJay. 2006