Chapter 18

Be prepared, this chapter is up and down

Vote, and Comment

Genevieve

"Her name was Emerson," Louis, nervously begins this story, telling me that he has never told anyone about what happened between him and his ex.

"Emerson and I met at an incoming freshmen fast track orientation, we were put in the same tour group, and we really clicked. After spending the whole day together, we followed each other on social media and got each other's numbers, so we could keep in touch. This was the summer that my family decided to make our family vacation here in the states, to help make my move to American college a little easier, and to also give us some more time together before the big milestone." He says, explaining the beginning details of, from what I have heard, an epic romance.

"So, after that orientation, my family and I continued our vacation of exploring the United States, and Emerson and I spent the whole summer getting to know each other. There was actually one week during that summer where our families were both in the same town, so we decided to meet up. Our parents meet each other, and they were actually quite fond of each other, and my parents absolutely loved her. I knew after that interaction I wanted to be with her."

"After the week had ended, and my family went on to our next town to continue our family road trip. Emerson and I spent the whole summer texting, and facetiming trying to get to know each other. When it came time to move on campus, my family dropped me off and headed back to England, to let me embark on this new adventure." Louis says, ask I lay my head down in his lap, and place my phone on the blanket right next to me. As I lay my head on his lap, I look up at him, admiring his features as he continues to tell me the story of a girl he used to love.

"Emerson and I, we were inseparable. I was truly in love with her. We complimented each other and pushed each other. We were each other's other half, and when we started dating, we were the power couple on campus. Everyone on campus knew we were meant for each other. Well, almost everyone." He says emphasizing the word almost, as he begins to twirl my hair around his finger. In the distance there was a mom with her two boys, playing on the playground fighting over who would be the first one down the slide, and there was a faint sound of birds chirping in the distance. It was a perfect day for a picnic, and being here with Louis, made something inside of me feel at ease.

"I was so in love with her, that I became blind. I became blind to her secrets, and her sneaking around. I was so in love with her that I knew she was the one. At least I thought she was. I was ready to propose. I got approval from her mom, her dad, and both of her brothers, and all I had left to do was ask the girl. So, I planned this very intricate, and low-key night for us so I could pop the question." He says, as I notice I now have his free hand in mine, while I play with his fingers. I feel my phone vibrate, next to me but I choose to ignore it not wanting to take away from this very vulnerable moment with Louis, my friend.

"So once we get to the location, -" Louis says beginning the next section of this story, as my phone starts to viciously ring, interrupting him from his story. I pick it up and see that Niall is calling, but I send it to voicemail, knowing that it is most likely not that important.

The term of my break with Niall was pretty clear, we were to have no communication for 30 days. Our therapist, Dr. Sherman, thinks it's a good idea, and I agree. I have held to my end of the terms, but here we are a week into this break, and Niall can't even hold up to his end of the deal.

"It's nothing, please continue," I say kindly, placing the phone back down, sending my attention back to Louis.

"Okay, where was I? Oh right, once we got to the location, -" He begins, getting interrupted by my phone going off again. I feel Louis shift under me, clearly looking a who is calling me, and he detaches his hand from mine, and lets my hair fall.