Chapter 1

Louis

Her long brown locks sat on her shoulders as she gave her speech. She stood there with confidence and stared into the audience with her chocolate brown orbs. She was wearing a light grey sweater, with a simple pair of jeans, and some brown boots. I could not tell you what her speech was about because I stopped paying attention once she opened her mouth. You could tell by the way she carried herself, that she was on a mission.

She was the type of girl that every girl secretly wanted to be. She was the type of girl that made you want to spend more than a night with her. She was the type of girl that you took home to your mother. But what drew me to her the most was who she is when no one is around. She was an interesting character. She was simple, yet still so complex. Everything about her compelled me towards her. Her name is Genevieve Gregory.

"And if nobody has any further questions, I will conclude my expose on the British Embassy." She says, awakening me from my daze, and walking back to her seat.

"Alright class, finish evaluating Miss. Gregory's presentation, and turn your evaluation sheets into the middle rows." Professor Hopkins says, giving us a few seconds to evaluate. Since I wasn't paying attention to her actual presentation, I just gave her the highest score because I'm sure she met all the criteria.

"Alright, so on Thursday the following students will be giving their presentations: Champion, Barnes, Ingram, Tomlinson, and Gomez," the professor continues. I was hoping she wouldn't call my name, because I haven't started my project yet, and I still don't know what my topic is. Heck, I don't even know what the project is on.

"I know we don't have class on Wednesday's, but I need you all to remember to turn in your discussion post to mylearningportal tonight, so you can respond to at least three people by the time class starts on Thursday. I will not be extending this assignment for anyone." She finishes, "And with that get out, I will see you all 9 am on Thursday."

I grab my bag and sling it over my shoulder and pull my phone out of my pocket to check if I have any messages. I see I have three text messages, two from my mum, and one from my roommate, and five new snapchats, all from people sending out their streaks.

"Hey wait up!" I hear someone call, and I look back to see the person lightly jogging towards me. "It's Lewis, right?" She asked as soon as caught up with me, with an unsure voice.

"It's actually Louis, but that's close enough," I say with a slight smile, to indicate I'm not mad at her for completely butchering my name. Everyone does, so I don't blame anyone. I would mess it up as well if it wasn't my name.

"Everyone messes it up, so I don't blame you. I blame my parents." I say jokingly to lighten the mood.

"Anyways, I noticed you were paying close attention to my presentation, and I wanted to know what you thought." She says, "I didn't want to bother you, but you were the only one that seemed interested in my presentation, so I figured I should ask you because I was nervous and –"

"Genevieve," I cut her off before she has a panic attack, "you did wonderful, love. It was by far the best presentation so far." I continue causing a smile to form on her face and her face to light up.

"Such a relief, I was nervous, and I didn't want to mess up." She says, running her limp hand through her hair pushing her hair behind her ear. "You present Thursday right?"

"Yeah, I was really hoping she wouldn't call my name, but I guess we can't all get what we want," I reply quickly looking at my phone, seeing that now my sister has texted me, giving myself a mental note to respond to them as soon as I get the chance.

"What's your project on?" She asks.

"You'll just have to find out with the rest of our class little dove," I respond not willing to admit I haven't even thought of the project, since the day it was assigned.

"It was really nice talking to you, Louis, I have to get going I have class five minutes, but I look forward to seeing your presentation with the rest of the class." She says walking off to her next lecture.

-*-

After my chat with Genevieve, I went back to my room and announcing to my suite-mates that I was back. One of our mates requested we announce when we come and go, after our first encounter with him. The first week of the semester me and the other roommates were going out to the Quad to celebrate the start of the semester and decided to invite him with us. We walked into his room and found out fast he like walking around the room naked when he's alone. After that, we set some ground rules, and we haven't had any issues since.

I sit on the couch in our common room and pull out my phone, finally having a chance to answer my text. I had a lot more notifications, since the last time I check, that needed to be opened. I opened Snapchat first, knowing that majority of the snaps I have are from people sending out their streaks. As I suspected, two-thirds of my snaps were from people who solely wanted to have a streak, and that's it.

I closed the app and opened the messaging app on my phone and propped my feet up on our coffee table reading all the messages I have received from my family.

Good Morning Louis, I know it's super early, and I can never seem to remember your class schedule. But I hope you have a good day, I am so proud of you and all you have done thus far son! – Mum

Hey, Louis, it's me, mum again. I forgot to tell you in my last message that I love you and miss you! Call me if you need anything, I will always answer regardless of the time difference! – Mum

The beginning of the last message made me smile. My mum still doesn't t texting is not like voicemail, plus I have her phone number saved in my phone, but I just laugh at her silliness replying to her message.

Thanks, mum! I love and miss you guys too! I think I'll call you guys sometime today or tomorrow, so be on the lookout!

I recently moved to America, so my family is five hours ahead of us, and always hard for us to keep in contact. Once I ventured off to university, I promised I would as often as possible, but I've become so busy I keep forgetting. I open the rest of the messages on my phone and respond vaguely.

"How was your 9 am?" My roommate, Liam, says walking out of our room, throwing his bag over his shoulder.

"It was alright, we just did presentations, pretty boring stuff." I shrug my shoulders.

"You have Eve in that class, right?" He asks, using the name she tells people to use, and all I do is nod. Liam has been my roommate since freshman year, so he's the only one that knows about how Genevieve makes me feel, and that's all thanks to one drunken comment that I muttered under my breath at a party.

"Yeah, she had her presentation today," I say, casually.

"Dude, my two-year-old sister has better game than you. It's sad, when are you going to make your move?" He asks, clearly annoyed I wouldn't just make my move. I wish it was easier to explain to him why I haven't done anything. He just doesn't get it. He thinks it's just a physical attraction that compels me to her, but it's so much more than that. How do you explain someone how hasn't had a steady relationship since middle school?

"She called me Lewis today," I told him, slightly smiling.

"Dude that sucks, I'm so sorry." He says sympathizing with me.

"I mean I don't blame her. I do have a weird name, and at least it was close enough. We had a nice conversation today." I explain. Sure, the conversation was short, but it was still a nice conversation.

"Did you finally express your love for her?" He says, jokingly.

"No, she asked me what I thought of her presentation," I say in response to his comment rolling my eyes, and he laughs at my frustration in his comment.

"Don't you have a class to get to?" I say clearly annoyed, ending the conversation on my "pathetic love life"

"Shot, I gotta go, but we are not done with this conversation." He says rushing out of the dorm and beginning his 10-minute walk to class.

Vote, Comment, and Share.