Chapter One

The bell has rung, signalling the end of class, and I honestly couldn’t wait to get out of Maths. It was a beautiful autumn day outside, and all I really wanted to do was sit out in the sun for a bit.

I nudged my best friend, Niall Horan, who had fallen asleep during the lesson. He jerked awake, opening his eyes so I could see that crystal clear blue. I smiled at him, ruffling his hair. 

“Nap time is over, Nialler,” I joked, getting out of my chair. The teacher at the front was packing up and leaving the classroom. “Get up, Sleeping Beauty.”

“I only get up if my princess kisses me.”

“Well, unfortunately, Demi Lovato isn’t here.”

“Too bad…I guess you’ll have to do,Blake,” he replied, teasingly. 

I rolled my eyes - he always pretended to flirt with me. At first, I was thrown off by these comments, but I realized he was just being playful. 

“Why are we friends?” I wondered. 

“Because you fell for my boyish charm in year nine.”

“And now we’re in sixth form - and yet I’m stuck with you,” I said, chuckling. He hit me playfully, and he got up from his chair. “Come on, I want to go outside. It’s beautiful.”

He sighed. “You’re going to make me late for Science.”

“Do you really care?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Good point.” 

He followed me out of the classroom, and I turned back to look at Niall as we walked through the door. 

“All I really want to do is sit for a bit -“

I bumped into somebody, cutting my sentence short. My binder and paper fell to the floor and Niall burst out laughing. He has quite a distinct laugh, and people look at us often. 

“Sorry,” I said turning to see who it was. 

It was Liam. I turned a bright shade of red, as he bent down to get my binder for me. 

“Uh, sorry, Blake.” Liam looked down at his shoes, handing me my notes. “I…I’ll see you around.”

He walked away, running a hand through his hair. I sighed, watching him go. He was my ex-boyfriend. We broke up a week ago, and it was still quite awkward whenever we bumped into each other. 

“Hmm, still awkward, huh?” Niall asked, putting his arm around me. 

“Yeah. It is,” I said, shaking my head. “We were such good friends, and dating was great. We just weren’t working anymore.”

“Are you over him?”

“I think so,” I said, nodding my head. 

“Good. You can move onto bigger and better things!”

“I just wish Liam and I could still be as close as we used to,” I responded. “We run in the same circle of friends - we’re always going to see each other.”

“It won’t be awkward forever, Blake,” he reassured me, patting me on the shoulder. “Now, did you bring a snack for me? I’m hungry.”

“You’re always hungry.”

“I’m a teenage boy. It’s normal.”

I laughed at that, before getting him a pack of crisps out of my bag. “Now, follow me outside!”