Chapter 19 part 2

Start from the beginning

"Heavens child, what is it?" Katie asked as she noticed he girl's blush. "Are those rascals causing trouble?"

"Yes...I mean no. I mean..." she swallowed hard when Katie took her by the elbow and dragged her into the hall closing the door behind her.

"Now then, suppose you try telling me what all this is about?" Katie frowned at the girl.

"The major is home. I didn't know him and I scolded him. He smiled at me and I...my knees...that is...he's so tall!"

Katie chuckled.

"Land sakes, child! Is that all?" She shook her head. "That's common enough. My son cuts a fine figure even if I do say so me own self. The lassie's fair swoon when he rides by on his horse with his uniform all crisp and proper. He's a giant among men, sure enough, and he can fill a room just by walking into it. But it's an angel's heart he has and it beats only for Vicky."

"That was easy to see when he heard the baby cry. Mrs. McClintock is a lucky woman to be loved so much as that." The girl said wistfully as she looked down the empty hall way.

"Sure enough she is child, but the truth be told, my son's the lucky one. That lassie is an angel sure as I'm standing here. We can't see her wings, sure, but she spreads goodness and joy wherever she goes and she's selfless and kind hearted to a fault."

"Mama." Quin said gruffly, not the least embarrassed at the tears in his voice. "How is she?"

"She's tired, sure enough, son." Katie held out her arms and the big man hugged her. "But she's well. And your daughter is pretty as a bright new penny all shiny and new."

"Daughter?" his voice caught as he squeezed Katie tight. "A daughter."

As he stood again (for Katie was over a foot shorter than he was) he kissed her head and a grin split his face even as tears glistened in his eyes.

"Go on it, son." Katie smiled as the girl stood back and watched with awe as the big man passed.

The door opened and Vicky opened her mouth as she looked up, expecting to ask Katie what all the hullaballoo was about. Tears welled in her eyes and she only smiled as there were no words. She'd nearly forgotten just how handsome he was...so very tall. He was standing there looking at her with his heart in his eyes and it was all she could do to remember to breathe!

He'd made an effort to clean up the dust as he was clean from the waist up in a new shirt and wet hair, though his boots and pants were still trail-worn. His sleeves were rolled up and ...his arm had a bandage. Her eyes travelled over him once more and she saw...her breath caught in a gasp.

"Darlin, it's nothing compared to what you've done here today." He shrugged.

As he moved toward her his heels clicked on the floor and he cringed as he looked down. In two steps he was in the chair and removing the noisy apparel and she noticed a wince as he reached down. She frowned.

"Two fellows tried to way-lay me but I couldn't let them keep me from my best girl." He smiled sheepishly as he came over and knelt next to the bed and looked at the bundle in Vicky's arms. "See, I sorta promised her I'd come in time to welcome a very special guest."

"It looks like you only just made it." she looked at his shoulder where a spot of blood was coming through the bandage.

"Katie tells me I've a daughter." He cleared his throat and gave her half a grin "I've got a matched set then, two sons and two daughters."

"Yes and No." she smiled coyly as she lifted the blanket to reveal his suckling daughter.

Quinton's bravado failed him miserably as she moved the blanket away and he saw his daughter there in his wife's arms. The image of her suckling there was the sweetest, most natural thing in the world and it was beautiful. She was beautiful. They both were so beautiful. Tears blurred his vision and he chuckled as he blinked them away.