40 - Sandwich

Thank you matchaneru for your request, I'm sorry it's not as detailed as some of my other ones

Modern AU

Keith stared at the door.

The door you had just walked out of.

The door that had slammed shut and echoed into the lonely house.

That door.

Keith stared at that door.

Keith stared at that door until his vision blurred.

He stared at that door until he fell to the floor, the pain in his chest so vivid his knees became weak.

He ran his hands through his hair, gripping until the pin pricks of pain danced in his vision.

That door drifted away as the looming thoughts of what he had just done clouded his mind.

He had chased you away.

He finally snapped and did the one thing he was afraid of.

He lost his guiding light, the one he would follow to the end of the Earth.

He lost you.

Keith wanted to throw up but was rooted to ground in sickening dread.

Tears poured from his eyes, goosebumps rising as a cold sweat drenched his clothing.

He gripped his hair tighter, suddenly aware of his gasping breath.

It hurt.

He hurt.

He hurt everywhere.

He wanted you to hold him like you always did when he was hurting.

And the fact you never would shine your warmth on him again made the pain so much worse.

-

Keith's eyes snap open as he wakes up, breath rattling past his chapped lips into his pillow.

The hairs stood on the back of his neck, skin prickly with wary goosebumps.

His heart was beating frantically, chest tight and constricted.

He felt sick to his stomach.

Keith raises his head sharply, feverish heartbeat making it hard to breathe. Panic was setting into his half awake mind but he stops moving when he sees the green numbers of his alarm clock. He stares at the early a.m. numbers, worried but sluggish brain whirring.

A dream.

Keith lets out a sigh of relief, head dropping back into his indented pillow as he comes to the realization. It was just a dream.

All at once, his body relaxes.

The stress on his chest falls away, letting him breathe again. The queasiness of his stomach settles as he sinks easily back into the mattress. Crashing from the sudden rush of panicked adrenaline, Keith falls back into his favored sleeping position.

He frowns at the wetness of the pillowcase as he lays on it properly again, scrunching his nose at the feeling. I must have cried in my sleep. If it wasn't so early Keith would have felt the heat of embarrassment instead of simply turning the pillow over and laying back down like he did.