19 - Hug

IM SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING HERES A VERY QUICK ONE THAT I DIDNT EDIT I PROMISE ILL GET BACK ON TRACK SOON

(Nervous!KeithxReader)

Despite an entire month passing since Keith confessing, and I accepting, he still couldn't look me in the eye. Talking to him was already a struggle but if we met accidental eye contact our conversation was as good as over. He locked up and stammered before bolting with a feeble excuse.

I frown at my bowl of cereal, which was my midnight snack, before remembering something from yesterday.

Shiro. When I talked to Shiro about it, he laughed at me before smiling.

"He doesn't know how to treat you." Shiro explains with a small grin.

I frown and furrow my brow.

"What do you mean 'treat me'?"

"Well," He starts, glancing toward the training room where Keith was practicing vigorously.

"For as long as I've known him, Keith has never liked someone, especially not as much as you. And he isn't very good with his emotions either so he's terrified of messing up."

I must have made a face because Shiro clapped a reassuring hand on my shoulder.

"He really likes you Y/N. You're all he talks about when we're alone. It just takes him awhile, that's all. He'll come around eventually."

I smile softly at him. All he talks about, huh?

"If you say so." I agree light heartedly.

I sigh before spooning another mouthful of slightly soggy cereal into my mouth as my mind wanders. Keith. He was sweet. Incredibly sweet in fact that it got to the point I felt bad everytime he stuttered. I wish he was more comfortable with me. When I touched his shoulder the other day he got as stiff as a board-

"Y/N."

I snap my head around and look toward the doorway.

"Keith?"

I stare blankly at the coal haired figure. He was in pajamas, a black T-shirt and soft looking red, plaid pants. Red lion slippers were dawned his feet. Cute. Like usual, his gaze was far to the side, not even close to making eye contact.

"What are you doing up?" I ask curiously. A feet a small pang in chest as he shifts uncomfortably, suddenly showing his nervousness.

Averting his gaze to the ground, Keith explains.

"I-Um...I wanted to talk to you and Hunk told me you usually went to the kitchen late at night..."

Thanks a lot Hunk.

-

"Just talk to him normally, don't treat him differently or he'll feel even more weird and uncertain." Shiro advises after a thoughtful moment.

-

I smile sheepishly at him before shrugging, "You caught me."

Getting out of my seat with a grunt I start to leisurely walk towards him.

"So what did you want to talk about?" I ask, coming to a stop in front of him.

From our closeness I could see Keith's eyes shifting repeatedly from me to the ground despite his head hanging low. Poor Keith.

"I-I um...I wanted to..." Keith mumbles before trailing off.

I gaze sympathetically at him, wishing I could reassure him without making him more nervous.

I open my mouth, hoping to say something comforting, as he's hands suddenly grip my biceps tightly. I look in surprise into Keith's anxious eyes as he forces himself to look at me.

Before having time to question what he's doing I feel myself jerk forward as Keith brings me close. A small yelp escapes my throat in reaction the unexpected free fall but ends sharply as I land in his embrace.

I stand in shock as Keith's arms wrap tightly around me, making this the most intimate position I've been with him. His chin rests on my shoulder as he let's out a shaky breath. Despite his sudden confidence I could feel the frantic pounding of his heart along with the fast rise and falls from his chest. A small grin cracks onto my lips.

He really wanted a hug.

With a smile still on my face I thread my arms around his back. Hoping it's not too overwhelming for him, I bury my head into the crook of Keith's neck. He inhales sharply and his grip tightens slightly but he doesn't show any signs of pulling away. After a tense moment he mimics my movement and leans into my neck as well.

I could tell he was blushing madly from how hot his skin was as it brushed against my own. Warm. Keith's entire body was warm, spreading heat through his tight embrace to me. It was a comfortable warmth, like being wrapped in a blanket on the couch on a cold day. Letting out a content sigh against the flushed skin of Keith's neck, I allow my eyes to droop ever so slightly from the overly comfortable hug.

"Am I doing this right?"

My brow furrows at the whispered question, filled with confusion.

"The hug?" I ask in an unsure tone, finding the question still odd.

My response seems to damper Keith's already low confidence in his abilities to talk as he's voice becomes more hesitant.

"Yeah. I mean..I don't really know..."

He can't mean...

"You've never hugged someone before?" I ask incredulously with wide eyes. His grips tightens slightly, whether out of embarrassment or annoyance I can't tell.

"Of course I've hugged someone before!" Keith snaps. Well that answers my question.

I breathe a sigh of relief as he explains sourly, "I just- I never know how to do things with you."

I frown at his response, finding confusing. Do things with me? A part of me wants to ask what he means but the possibility of embarrassing him negates me from the idea.

"You're doing just fine." I murmur encougaringly, rubbing my hand up and down his back once.

My attempt at comforting Keith backfires as he stiffens immediately. Loosening his embrace, he pulls away slightly, his head leaving the crook of my neck. As predicted, his cheeks were flushed pink. His eyes meet mine for just a moment before darting away, but the nervousness in them is undeniable.

"R-Right. Well, I-Uh... Should go t-to bed now." Keith stammers, looking at the wall behind me. I resist the urge to frown as not to worry him further.

Despite that I can't help but feel disappointment that I scared him away. Look on the bright side: He gave you a hug. Its progress.

"Yeah I should too." I agree, letting my arms fall from his back.

Keith pulls away and takes a few steps backward, keeping his eyes away from mine. My lips curl into a small smile as he backs out of the room, muttering a small 'goodnight' before bolting down the hallway.

Progress.

-Meanwhile-

"SHIRO I DID IT! I HUGGED HER!"

"Keith stop yelling, it's two in the morning."