31 - Heartbeat

Yeah, I suck at updating and am tryin to make up for it. Let's just put that out there rn so you all know I'm self-aware

Your PoV

Today, was tired.

Everything we did, anything we said, to anybody in the castle, was strenuous at best. Even the mice could barely keep it together.

When you all gathered in the kitchen it only took two minutes before today was officially called off to be a lazy day, which you all needed to be frank.

After a pitiful cheer, over half of the team went to find somewhere to sleep, though standing up was not completely rejectable if a comfy spot was unable to be found. You however, wanted to spend your tired time sleeping away with your newly acquired boyfriend of two months:

Keith.

He was awkward with dating, which you didn't mind, but he still was seeming to try and open up to you, which you pretended you didn't mind. You wanted to give him all the time he needed, but after two months you still felt locked out.

It really got to you when you noticed something was bothering him, but he brushed you off when you asked and walked away. That's when you went Shiro for advice.

It was a difficult subject to bring up to him considering how close they were, but if there anyone who could give you an answer it would be him. And, it was the best option. Unsurprisingly, Shiro was very supportive, you don't know what you were worried about. He told you that Keith took a long time to find the words and the nerves to speak about his issues, even with him, and that it wasn't like he didn't want to tell you, but was having trouble being able to.

He told you to try and be patient and don't stop making an effort because, knowing Keith, he needs complete reassurance to confide in someone. And, if it meant anything to you, that Keith really did want to build a bond with you.

It meant something.

From then on you continued to try and be supportive, reminding yourself of Shiro's advice whenever you felt down. Keith's attempts to move further were small but notable and eventually you looked forward to each new step he took every few days.

It was a work in progress, a slow one at that, but that was okay: You enjoyed entering the layers of Keith's trust. How he slowly warmed up to you everyday. He even started picking flowers from each planet you go, finding them in your favorite color to leave in front of your door. It was his way of showing affection since he struggled so much with the physical kind.

But today he was just going to have to suck it up because you wanted to spend your day resting in the comfort of some else.

Your first instinct was to check the training room, but even Keith had been affected by the drowsy spell cast of the Castle of Lions. He was still in his pajamas when he arrived for breakfast and it could only be assumed he went back to his room after the lazy day was declared.

Lucky for you, that was indeed the case.

Keith was in his room when you entered, laying on his bed but not sleeping despite lack of energy. Instead his head was tucked under his arm, other hand twirling his knife like it wasn't a dangerous, pointy object.

Keith turned his head at the hiss of his hydraulic door, bangs falling back as he craned his neck. He smiled softly, tired eyes softening at your appearance.

"Hey."

"Hey." He stops his knife twirling as you walk in, finding your uncalled for appearance much more worthy of his attention.