20 - Intertwined (Requested)

A/N I was thinking on making a 2nd mafia au fic that takes place during the year of your secret relationship. Would any of you be interested in that at all? I'll probably do it anyway because this book is an outlet for my self indulgence but...whatever.

Anyways, @ShelbyHill3 here's your request. I am so sorry it took so long. I'm also sorry the ending is kinda rushed. I wrote the beginning so long ago.

Mermaid AU

In merfolk culture, it is considering a great sign of love and adoration to intertwine tails with your significant other. This is because merfolk can communicate how they feel to others by intertwining tails. If the your significant other should intertwine their tail with yours, you'll be able to feel their emotions and vice versa. While it can be a wonderful and intimate experience (though still considered decent in public), almost 50% of couples break up over disappointing results...

-

Keith's POV

I groan while stretching out on the smooth rock, my metallic red tail unfurling until my fin dips into the cool water. A shiver runs up my spine at the sudden coldness. Retracting my tail quickly, I curl it around an indent in the warm stone. Fluttering my eyes open I squint at the sun directly above me, beating down on my bare chest. With another groan I roll over onto my stomach to sun my back and save my pupils from the scorching light.

I should do this more often.

My eyes land on the water, the only thing for them to stare at. I gaze with disinterest, watching sea creatures swim past in pods or just by their lonesome. In the distance I can see Atlantis in it's shimmering glory, the most populated city and my home. I squint my eyes and concentrate on the city, seeing if I can make out finer details.

Despite my distance, I can faintly make out the hustle of traffic. Dolphin taxis caught in jams while manta rays catch a current and ride merpeople to their destination. Atlantis was a busy city.

Which is why I choose to relax in reclusion from it.

It could be fun living in the most populated city of merkind; Lots to do with great opportunities. But it was loud and noisy without a chance to breathe and enjoy the moment. I liked to spend time alone despite my active city, finding it easier to be myself when I wasn't surrounded by others. Which was hard to come by in such an energized place. Well, that's not entirely true. Y/N makes everywhere enjoyable.

A small smile grows on my face as my girlfriend fills my thoughts. There wasn't a second I didn't want to be with her, hear her voice or have her arms around me. She was everything to me.

Before I met Y/N, I thought love would never come my way and I was perfectly fine with the prospect. I was convinced that all I needed was myself and my group of friends. Love had seemed so overrated and stupid at the time. But when Pidge introduced her to us, I couldn't help it. The way her hair floated in the water and framed her face when we met, and how the scales on her tail shimmered in the light. She took my breath away.

I fell for her after the first day we met.

Sighing contently at the image of Y/N's face in my mind, I tuck my head into my crossed arms. My eyelids, suddenly feeling heavy, slip further down until the sea is blurred in my vision. I'll stay here a little longer, I don't have work for awhile. My body relaxes as the sun beats down on my back, warming my skin with its touch. Letting the tension out of my shoulders, I close my eyes to block out my view of the underwater city.

I stayed up too late last night. I need a nap.

I lay quietly with closed eyes on my sunning rock, waiting patiently for sleep to consume me. My own silence allows me to tune into my surroundings, noticing things I hadn't before. The ocean spray that gently brushed my skin, carried by a low breeze. The salty smell of the water, refreshing to breathe in. The rhythmic sound of waves, rising and falling in a never ending cycle.