23 - Overworked

This one's pretty short but I thought it was cute. It's similar to the first one shot on here, but with way better writing

Modern AU

Your POV

I let out a sigh as I roll my neck around, pulling my gaze away from the thick book in my hands. Tension snaps behind my head and lets out a cracking noise. Letting my head stay in its tilted postion, chin jutted in the air, I close my eyes and let my thoughts wander for a moment. Unsurprisingly, the shift to the question that's been bothering me for the past two hours.

Where is he?

Today was Saturday, meaning I had today off and then tomorrow as well before having to go back to work on Monday. Keith usually has the same off days as me, letting us enjoy the weekend together or with our friends. But occasionally, he had to work Saturdays as well. It wasn't very often, but when it did occur it was not welcomed. It would be... Well, it would be an understatement to say he hated being called into work.

It usually happened around 9am, he would get a phone call that is. During that time we were usually cuddling in bed or making breakfast together, although it was more like I was making breakfast while Keith was distracting me with sporadic kisses and hugs from behind. His phone would buzz and as soon as he glanced at the caller id I knew it was his job by his facial expression. It was pretty obvious by the way he scowled at the screen like it was the bane of his existence and let out the most annoyed groan he could muster

He'd answer angrily with a very stern 'What?', hang up as soon as they told what they needed him, stare at his phone with complete repulsion before storming to his dresser. It hard to imagine someone get dressed angrily, but he does it expertly.

After that Keith would shove on his shoes and throw on his coat so hard the collar snapped like a belt cracking itself. Then he would give me a goodbye kiss. That kiss was the main reason I knew Keith didn't just hate going because it was an inconvenience- He didn't want to waste the time supposed to be spent with me somewhere else. While his behavior was agitated and annoyed, his lips shared none of that anger.
They gave insight to his longing to stay with me, his want to be by my side.

After a long kiss, bidding goodbye with action without words, he would leave.

Today Keith actually left before giving me his usual pre-departure affection. I wasn't upset or angry at him, I knew when he was frustrated he let that emotion take regins of his actions. If anything it made me more empathic to his annoyance about leaving. I didn't get to ponder it for very long though because a few seconds after the ringing from the door slamming stopped he came bursting back in.

I only got to see a glimpse of his bee-line directly toward me before arms intertwined around the small of back. I was nearly swept me off my feet as he tugged me closer, pulling me in for an apologetic kiss. He left after that but it was comforting to know that giving me affection was more of a priority to him than anything his job could ask of him.

Keith usually came home around eight maybe later if traffic was bad, but tonight was different. He had texted me around twenty minutes before he usually left saying he was going to be late and to eat dinner without him (I ordered his favorite pizza anyways because I had a very strong inkling he wasn't going to eat anyways). I expected he wasn't going to be back until ten, or at the very latest eleven, but it was already a quarter after midnight and there was no sign of him.

I would call him but he was already stressed from work and I didn't want to remind him of the fact he wasn't able to be home by calling him about it. I had decided to read a book to make the time go by faster, but that was almost two hours ago and I was feeling restless.