27 - Calling Out

I would apologize for uploading 2 weeks late (and with a hella short story) but honestly I doubt you even have high expectations for my punctuality anymore so oh well.

Your POV

The night held an ambiant quiet. Not actually dead silent but a hum of noise so faint and faded it was almost white. The wind only howled to be known not to be heard. The trees swayed simply to stretch their limbs, every once in awhile clacking wood against wood.

Quiet yet not.

Usually, this was the perfect environment for me to sleep. Even on cold winter nights like tonight I could drift off with ease, escape the realm of reality into a peaceful slumber. But something must be off. Maybe I drank one too many coffees, maybe the trees clacking is just one notch too low. Whatever it may be, something isn't up to code because I can't fall asleep.
And maybe the sky is falling because Keith did.

It was usually vice versa. I was asleep within an hour and Keith layed there, pressed against my back for God knows how long waiting for sleep to take him already. He told me it wasn't that bad: He gets to think over his thoughts and 'occasionally' watch me sleep. I told him he was weird but I would be lying if I said I didn't smile whenever I get into bed and think about him watching over me. Maybe he'd have that loving look on his face, the one reserved for me and me alone.

Of course, Keith wasn't watching over me now- He was passed out against my back, arms wrapped limply around my torso in a sleep filled embrace as he breathed hot air down my neck. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he was finally sleeping on time; he needs all the rest he can get. But of all the people to fall asleep before me it's Keith Kogane. And maybe it's because he worked late today before being called back to work two and a half hours more, but still: Of all the people.

I sigh quietly to myself, shifting in the small amount of space Keith's arms gave me. If I really wanted to I could escape his embrace considering my hand was intwined ontop of his and could easily pull his arm away, but I found it nice to have him around me even if it did limit my movements. It was like he was still trying to love me even though he was asleep. My lips quirk into a small smile at the thought, fleeting yet genuine.

Sentiment passing, I go back to laying stagnantly without a clue of what to do besides listen to the quiet, but not, environment.

"...y/n." The words were softly spoken, raspy and mumbled but still clearly audible.

It takes me a moment to realize it was Keith who called out my name so faintly and not the wind beckoning to me in a sleep deprived hallucination.

On reflex I start to turn my head, trying to crane my neck to get a glimpse of his face. But we were pressed too close for me to even see his messy coal hair out of my peripheral.

Lowering my head back down to the 'me' shaped indent in my pillow, I give a halfhearted, "Mm?"

I squeeze Keith's hand when he doesn't respond, trying to draw the words out of him with simple reassurance but he stays silent. The not so quiet, quiet resumes, leaving me alone to decipher his lack of response. His breath was just was warm and steady, his embrace just as limp yet comforting. Nothing had changed from before, no silent clue to give me a lead to his missing words. It takes a moment for the obvious answer to hit me, putting another faint smile on my face.

Lowering my voice above whisper, I ask almost rhetorically, "Are you asleep?"

Slowly, I feel his presence stir behind me. Those protective arms of his tightening their embrace as he draws himself closer. One of his toned legs nudging their way inbetween mine with his knee, slotting itself between. A content sigh escapes him, lazily edging off as he nuzzles against the back of my head again, nestling his nose through my hair until it's pressed to my scalp. Keith breathes in deeply, drawing in the scent of my shampoo. He always liked to smell my hair after I shower. Would sit me down in front of him so he could inhale whatever scent of hair product I used; I guess it was no different when he sleeps.

My faint smile grows as he searches my hair for a familiar scent, on the verge of becoming too cute for someone not even concious. Reaching a hand behind me I ruffle his hair, scratching his scalp lightly in the way he likes it. It seems to ease Keith as his gentle stirring settles, going back to stagnation against my figure.

Pulling my hand back under the warm confines of covers, I murmur quietly, "Sleep well."