42 - Could You Please Come Pick Me Up?

Modern AU

You were already awake when you got the phone call.

It had been a restless night for you, tossing and turning with the howling wind as rain pounded down on the large, rectangular window above your bed. You normally loved storms, the relentless pelting of water soothing to your soul and overactive brain. But tonight not even the angry tears of the gods were enough to calm your mind into the warm and oh so inviting grasp of sleep.

You eventually gave up on trying to find the nonexistent comfortable position that would send you to dreamland and flopped onto your back, apting to staring at the ceiling with a sulking expression as you watched the reflected pattern of droplets on your window.

You were silently scolding your brain for refusing to sleep, wishing it would just crash and let the tired bags that were always grasping under your eyes slip away with a good night's sleep when you heard the vibrations of your phone on your nightstand.

You looked over as you heard the muted buzz, sleepily confused at who the hell was calling you at three in the fucking morning.

Still, you reached a limp arm over, trying a few times before successfully grabbing hold of your phone and flipping it over. You winced at the bright shine of the screen, eyes becoming blinded from the device. Squinting with an unintentional scowl on your lips, you blindly swiped the accept side of your screen, fumbling to being the phone to your ear.

Eyes still burning, you give a questionable, "Hello?", as you realize you accepted without even knowing who was calling.

"Y/N?" You frowned at the familiar voice, your tired thoughts buzzing as they tried to connect it with a person. You could hear loud howls and rumbles in the background as you racked your brain, as if the person calling was in the middle of the storm that raged beyond the walls of your apartment.

A moment, possibly two you weren't keeping count, passed before the slightly rough voice clicked with something in your head.

"...Keith?"

You heard a deep inhale on the other side of the phone, barely audible from the undertones of thundering noise, but there regardless.

"Yeah...Yeah it's me."

Your frown of confusion only deepens, revealed identity not answering any of your exhausted questions.

"Okay.." You reply slowly, not sure how to respond, "What are you calling me for at 3am?"

"I know, I know it's late- early?,  whatever, and I'm really sorry if I woke you up but could you-" Keith's voice falters for a moment, allowing the storm sounding noises to resume,

"Could you please come pick me up?"

Your brain takes a second to process what he says and your eyes widen as they do. Sitting up in bed, you ask incredulously into your phone.

"You want me to what?"

"I know, I know," Keith repeats, voice catching a sudden tone of distress. Even in your tired state you notice how each word sounded more and more like a plead, "I know, it's stupid and you're probably trying to sleep but I don't have anyone else and I just really need a ride."

You can't find the ability to speak as you drink in the sudden anxiety in his voice. Keith and you were friends, not superbly close like him and Shiro, but still friends. You hung out with everyone in your shared friend group but never in your long relationship with everyone had you heard him sound so uneasy.

So wrapped in your confused and now surprised thoughts, you don't realize how long you hold back an answer until Keith lets out a defeated sigh.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have even-"