Family Effort

It was 1PM and we had all been waiting since 10AM, we had got up at 9AM and no one really ate much. We were all waiting in camp by the campfire. 

I was going through the plan over and over in my head until he arrived a few minutes later.

“Well, well, well” Mark said as he walked through camp not more than twenty meters from us. We all shot up on our feet and out of pure anger I shifted my eyes, I needed and wanted to release my anger, shift and kill him but I couldn’t, I didn’t know what Mark could do or what he had on him.

Chris stared at me and shook his head telling me no. With that I shifted my eyes back.

“Aww” Mark laughed “Cute little wolf Tilyer” he continued as he strutted around arrogantly.

“So how is this going to go down” I asked as we all moved away from each other, Joe was still in his cabin, Chris was nearest the Campfire next to Zoe and I was in between the cabins and the campfire. Ashley tried to follow me but I told her to hold back

“Cute” Mark said sarcastically in a harsh manner “Telling your bitch to hold back so she doesn’t get hurt” he grinned.

“Fuck you” I said slowly

“Now now, I have no intention of hurting them... yet” he laughed again “But you know this won’t be like the first time you shifted” he took off his shirt and threw it to the ground as Joe stepped out of his cabin. He hadn’t expected this and froze on the spot as soon as he looked up, Mark sniggered. Joe took a few more steps towards me away from his cabin.

I took my shirt off too and threw it on the ground; this was like a duel, just... worse, if he had thrown his shirt to the ground it meant he was going to shift, and I would have to do the same if we had any chance in the plan working.

“Hey look guys” Mark said slowly “Tilyer, wants to get his ass kicked” he was repeating this from our first fight... it was almost like déjà vu... just not as pleasant 

“No...” I said slowly as I began to walk slowly towards him “You do”

“Or does Joe?” he smiled before closing his eyes and a few seconds later shifted into a bear. Once he had shifted he scanned his eyes over us and stopped on Joe before smiling. Joe gulped, he was petrified, and Mark was going to kill him

“Mark...” I said slowly, he turned his head and roared at me... really? Why roar at me? It was pointless. Mark started to walk slowly towards Joe; they must have been about ten meters apart and ten from me now. 

“Don’t you dare hurt him” I shouted as I burst into a sprint and shifted, Mark made a break for it and was heading straight for Joe. The gap was shortening with every step we made towards Joe and as soon as I was close enough I leapt up and tackled Joe out of the way just in time to feel Mark brush past my tail. 

Fuck that was close. I looked at Joe quickly

“Joe you better fucking hear this” I said in a rush. Joe nodded back at me “In my shorts, there is a knife, take it, protect yourself and the others”

“Ok, I will” Joe said as he stood up.

Mark turned round and looked at me; I focused on speaking to him, hoping I could make a link.

“Mark...” 

“What the fuck” Mark said suddenly confused

“Yeah, we can communicate like this” I smiled “Now... this fight is between you and me, not them”

“You’re pathetic” he said angrily “You saved a guy who tried to kill you... twice” he put extra emphasis on the twice

“And you betrayed your friend... I’d say that was worse.” I paused “Now if you want to kill me, come get me”