Territorial

The next day I left Chris in charge of teaching Joe about how the pack works and stuff like that, including the map of our territory, how the food and eating works, when we go into town, and anything else he might need. I was out walking, I just wanted to chill out, and what better way to take stress of your shoulders than walk as a wolf? Well... it wasn’t all just pleasure; I still had to do my territory patrol, which was basically just marking the boundaries of the territory... wolf style if you know what I mean (if you don’t I mean peeing along the board to mark it with my scent so other wolves won’t come near) I didn’t really need to mark the territory but it felt a bit safer if I did... I don’t know why it just did to me, also seemed more natural. 

I basically just walked along the edge of the territory and marked it mine, Ashley was helping me, we both started North, I walked Anticlockwise and she walked around clockwise, the main reason I wanted to walk in my direction was because it was the side where Mark had been... or the direction he was in anyways.

It would normally take you about an hour and a half to two hours to do the entire perimeter, on the first day Chris and I did it in about forty-five minutes or so because we ran some of the way, this patrol took me fifty minutes because I only had to do half, Ashley did the other half of it.

When we met up it was roughly halfway along south boundary and Ashley looked worried.

She nudged me and tried to push me in the direction of camp, she looked as if she was trying to say something but as wolves we can’t talk, I was confused and she was frantically trying to tell me something but I didn’t really get it, and then I heard her.

“Tilyer, you have to follow me, there is a mutilated deer in the south east area, oh I hate this, why can’t we just talk!” she said annoyed and frustrated, I don’t know how she did it but she managed to talk to me, as a wolf.

I focused on speaking to her, passing my words to her “Ash, I can hear you, can you hear me?” she suddenly looked shocked.

“Oh my god I can hear you, how is this possible”

“I don’t know” I said smiling, I was pretty happy, we could talk, I had always believed we couldn’t before, but I was proved wrong.

“Didn’t your book say anything about this” she asked

“I don’t know, haven’t read all of it” but I did remember seeing a chapter named communication, I just assumed it was about body language, but maybe this was included 

“Well you should read it! It’s like... telepathy” she said in amazement as she stared at me.

“Yeah... this is so cool” I said as I stepped forwards and rubbed my head on her neck, as a sort of hug

“Yeah, anyways, we can talk about this later, now you must follow me” she said suddenly sounding worried.

“Right, mutilated deer” I said, well more like thought because we weren’t literally speaking.

“Follow me” she said as she turned around and started running.

I couldn’t deny that even as a wolf she looked amazing, her white fur was so pure and... Almost mesmerising in a way I guess. The black tips on her tail and ears were kind of cute I thought, different and just unique to her, just like she was, unique. I realised I had completely lost track of what I was doing and thinking because I stumbled and nearly fell over a stupid root from a tree.

“You ok?” she asked as she heard me stumble

“Yeah... sorry was distracted”

“Then stop looking at my ass” she said cheekily and winked at me

“Hey, I wasn’t” I said as I started to push harder from the ground picking up speed

“Don’t you dare overtake me” she looked at me and frowned playfully

“Don’t need you to guide me, I can smell the blood” and winked back

“Well...” she paused “Screw you then” she laughed and ran faster

I enjoyed being able to talk to her whilst being a wolf, made life so much simpler, and more enjoyable. I shook my head and started to focus on the task at hand. I could smell the blood and I knew I wasn’t too far off.

Ashley started to slow down so I did as well; we walked for a grand total of about ten meters before I could see something on the ground at the origin of the smell.

I padded up to it and stared in shock

“Have you already seen this?” I asked

“Yes... I know shocked me as well” she said staring at the... thing on the floor.

I called it a thing because... well, it was a deer, in this case a male, who had been ripped up, so badly that his insides were spread over a three meter radius in every direction, and it’s legs were spread apart, even the two front legs seemed to be trying to pull free from each other. Its neck was horrible broken and its throat slashed. His belly looked like a piece of paper that had been through a shredder and its back had about eight very large claw marks, four going from the top left to bottom right, and the other four straight across the middle. It lay motionless, with dead eyes staring off into the distance as its body... or what was left of it soaked in a drying pool of its own blood.

I walked around it to double check all the injuries, unfortunately I already knew he did this... Mark.

Only a bear could be big enough to case this much damage so carelessly and be so arrogant as to do it on my territory, and without even eating a single bit of it. I didn’t know if I should be pissed off or concerned at the moment, Mark had just killed for fun, in the harshest of ways, on my territory.

“Was it Mark?” Ashley said as she nudged me with her muzzle, even thought she asked I knew she already knew the answer to her question

“Yup, the big bastard bear did it” I replied as I started to walk away, I wanted to get back to camp

“What do we do now then?”

“We warn the pack” I said as I started to pick up the pace

“Is this a threat?”

“Probably, or he is just messing with us” 

“Asshole” Ashley spat before we broke out into a run towards camp, and I couldn’t agree more with her, he was an asshole.