The Night Before

Joe’s P.O.V

Tilyer had organised a family mean tonight, well a pack meal... even if we did all eat together anyways, but it was nice, we ran over the details again and after a while he left with Ashley. Now I was sitting across from Chris and Zoe and I could see they were worried, and I was to. I mean who wouldn’t be. I was scared... Mark and I had way too much history between us, I was more worried about him kidnapping me, and I know it sounds really stupid but... what if he did? I couldn’t live with him, he was too violent, and I loved the pack, it was family now. I looked at my watch quickly and then stood up.

“Well... I’m going to bed guys” I said quietly

“Sure, sleep well Joe” Chris said to me with a light smile

“Night guys” I smiled back

“Goodnight” Zoe replied also trying to force a smile, there was no way this evening could be happy, it was just too suspenseful, too irritating, too... too morbid, as if someone had told us this was the last night of our lives, of course it could be, but... I hoped not. Especially for Tilyer, he spared my life, twice, and took me in like family, I was grateful and forever in his debt.

Chris’s P.O.V

Joe had just left to go to sleep and I could tell he wasn’t feeling ok, he must feel a bit guilty, knowing the guy he tried to kill twice and who took him in was in danger of dying... I don’t know, I couldn’t quite put myself in his shoes but I know I would feel bad. Apart from that he looked in pain, and scared... heck we all were.

I was sitting by the campfire with Zoe, we were just hugging, it must be past 10PM and we were just waiting I guess... there was nothing worth saying, tomorrow we had to fight Mark, and anyone one of us could die... I didn’t even want to know what was going to happen.

I hugged Zoe tight before thinking going to bed may be a good idea.

“You want to go sleep?” I asked as I kissed her

“Yeah... we’re going to need it for tomorrow” she said worried

“I know, but don’t worry it’ll be fine” I hugged her again before taking hold of her hand and standing up.

Zoe’s P.O.V

Chris and I walked hand in hand back to his room where we got changed into our PJs and cuddled up in bed. I was worried, knowing this may be the last time I’d every do this... he could die tomorrow, I could die, Joe could die, Ashley could, but above all Tilyer could, no matter how strong, tough, or clever he was, he ran the risk, and if he died I don’t know how any of us would cope, especially Ashley... she loved him far too much and if they really are mates, which I’m almost certain they are, she wouldn’t cope with his death... I don’t think any shape shifter could cope with their mate’s death.

Mark wanted him dead and if that’s what he wanted, Mark was going to try to get it, that’s what I heard Mark to be like.

“I love you” I said as I hugged Chris and hugged him tightly

“So do I” he replied as my eyes started to tear up.

I couldn’t bring myself to saying anything else so I just hugged him; hoping it would be ok and we would all make it out of this alive.

Ashley’s P.O.V

I walked out of our Cabin and looked towards the campfire, everyone was gone. I had stayed in and finished reading a bit of my book. I loved this book, and where normally I would be engrossed in it and wish nothing more than to just finish it as soon as possible, I found it hard to read... I had no desire to read anymore, too many things on my mind... on everyone’s mind.

I looked up and saw Tilyer sitting on the roof, staring off into the distance. I couldn’t help but feel sorry for him, he was the one Mark was after, not us, and knowing Tilyer, he would feel bad for that, because he was putting our lives in danger for something that concerned him only... an accident, but then again we wouldn’t have it any other way, we all loved Tilyer, me most of all but still, he was our alpha and we couldn’t just let him die.

I went round back and climbed the ladder and sat down next to him.

“You ok?” I asked as I held his hand

“Thinking...” he replied slowly

“I know...” I paused and hugged him “It’s gonna be ok, I promise, we all live through this.” I tried to smile but I knew even if I meant it, it wouldn’t mean a thing.

“You should sleep...” he said slowly still staring off into the distance

“Yeah...” I agreed knowing I probably did, I would need my strength for tomorrow “But so do you”

“I know...” he said before slowly turning round and kissing me “I’ll be down in a few mins I promise”

“Ok then” I kissed him back “See you in a few then” I stood up and climbed down the ladder before walking back into the cabin and getting changed. Tilyer always seemed like he was elsewhere when thinking. 

I quickly slipped off most of my clothes and grabbed my PJs before getting into bed. I decided not to sleep until Tilyer came down; I wanted to cuddle up to him before sleeping.

Tilyer’s P.O.V

I watched Ashley get into the cabin before going back to thinking. 

If any of them died it would be my fault... mine and mine only, none of them had to be in this mess with me, but they were... this was the price we had to pay for family and the price I had to pay... for everything I've ever done to Mark. I knew something would go wrong eventually, but I didn’t think I’d have a pack by then.

I sighed and shifted my eyes. I liked having them shifted, gave me a sense of... I don’t know, it was a just a weird feeling that felt kind of good.

I shook my head and decided against thinking, I was just going to sleep, and tomorrow I would fight, it was the best I could do.

I jumped down from the roof and headed into my room before slipping off my shorts and throwing my shirt to the ground, I couldn’t hide the fact I was annoyed that they might die for me... it was unfair and even if it was what family meant, I didn’t like the idea of being the one responsible for their deaths. 

I didn’t need a shower because I had already spent over half an hour standing under the running water thinking... yeah I think too much.

I got into bed and kissed Ashley

“Goodnight Ash” I said as I hugged her

“Night Tilyer” she said as she kissed me back

“I love you” 

“I love you too” she said before kissing me again and closing her eyes.

My eyes were still shifted so I shifted them back and I kissed her one last time before closing my own eyes. I knew this may be the last night I got to spend with her, but I was persuaded to have another night with her, I would live tomorrow and Mark was going to die, he has to.