The Hunt.

I woke up to the sound of my mother screaming.

A loud shriek could be heard from the kitchen and I immediately jumped up out of bed onto my feet, which was interesting because I usually slept through this.

I got changed and decided to wear my favourite jeans and my favourite black T-shirt, I must have worn this same outfit for the past 3 weeks or so.

I sighed heavily before leaving the safety of my room.

Bright light hit my face as I entered the corridor, I guess it must be a pretty good day, and sure enough as I entered the kitchen I could already feel the warmth of the sun starting to warm me up.

“Tilyer, quick, help, NOW!” she said rapidly and shouted the last word.

“Yeah, what?” I said unemotionally as I could, right now I really didn’t care.

“There is a rat in the garden.” She said slowly, trying to calm herself down.

I stood there, motionless, speechless even. “What the heck do you want me to do about it? It’s gone now anyways.” I shrugged it off and grabbed the milk from the fridge; I hesitated and put it back.

“Ugh, honestly, your attitude has to change.” She said angrily and rather annoyed at me.

“Sorry” I paused “... by the way, I'm going out today, I got no homework and I have plans with friends and I said I’d help Jerry out with something.” I said as I left the kitchen, it wasn’t all lies. Yes I did have homework, and shamefully, I had a lot of it, no I didn’t have plans with friends, but I had said to Jerry I would help him with his deer problem, so I was going to do that.

“Have fun.” my mom shouted from the kitchen. I guess she gave up trying to stop me from going out, and anyways, I wasn’t going to be on my laptop so I guess she found relief in me going outside.

“I will.” I said as I smiled to myself, I was gonna have fun alright.

I grabbed my backpack checking I still had everything in there and it did so I slipped my shoes on and headed out of the door.  I ran all the way to Jerry’s house and it seemed slightly easier than last time. I guess my stamina was beginning to get better than it already was, could this be to do with shifting and being a wolf?

The forest held a haven of smells and sounds that I loved so much, this could never compare to a trip I had gone on, we went to Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming one summer and I fell in love with it. Yellowstone must have been the most stunning place I had ever visited.

I got up to the door and knocked on the door only to hear Carla shout

“It’s open Tilyer, come in.”

“Thanks” I shouted back as I went through the door.

“Hello Tilyer, so what are you up to today?” Jerry asked me as he peered over his newspaper.

“Oh well I just wanted to let you know I'm going into the woods and I'm going to try my hand at hunting, or should I say paw.” I smiled at Jerry; I loved the fact he knew who I was.

“Sounds good, tell me if you get anything.” He replied as he lifted his newspaper once more.

“Will do.” I said as I turned back around “See you later...” I said hesitating on if I should tell him about the man on the hill, in the end I decided against it and headed out of the door and started to run to the bunker.

When I got there I smiled gratefully and crawled inside on all fours, I was acting like a wolf as a human. I don’t know why but I found comfort in this new me, it was as if I had finally found that part of me I had been searching for all my life.