Trigger

It was a Monday, one of the most boring days in the history of my school year, honestly, did the teachers deliberately give me maths, English, History, and ICT all in the same day.

I remember when I first read my timetable, what... the heck... WHERE THEY THINKING?!

Seriously, and as if my day couldn’t get worse, oh yeah, wait this is my life we’re talking about of course it could get worse. I was set homework in every single lesson, and when it was time to go home, I ended up walking home alone due to the fact all my friends either went the other way or they needed to stay behind.

So I did the usual thing, head down, headphones in, music on, walk.

Those were the simple steps to getting home safely... most of the time.

As I walked down the road playing my usual playlist of songs I thought I could hear them; hear them shout, yell, scream.

“Tilyer you piece of shit.”

“Screw you.”

“Go die.”

“Burn in hell.”

“We hate you.”

Chills ran up my spine, I couldn’t take this anymore; the insults were just too much, my home life was bad enough and this wasn’t helping. I took a left off the main footpath and headed down a small dirt path which lead me to a lake.

From here I could just walk through the forest all the way to my house, this was took about 15 minutes longer but today was one of those days which I could afford to walk for 15 more minutes.

I turned off my music and put the headphones inside of my backpack, the sounds of the forest and the lake sufficed me.

The gentle wind stroking my arms and the songs of birds seemed to take all the anger out of me, like soft, calm music sends a child to sleep.

That small moment of pleasure was soon eradicated.

I looked ahead to see a group of 3 boys, “Idiots” I said to myself, they were the sort of boys who caused trouble and no surprise to the fact they were smoking. Weed I presumed.

“Yo, wassup bro?” An average height 16 year old guy with short brown hair spoke.

“Screw you” I snapped back at him a bit more offensively than I had originally meant to.

“Oh, feisty” he sniggered. The idiots name was Joe.

“Piss off.” I said as I walked through the middle of the 3.

“Or what?” this time a guy named Jack spoke as he stood in front of me. He had short, scruffy blonde hair and stank of alcohol.

“Just leave me alone for crying out loud.”  I tried to push past them but they just pushed my back.

“Wanna fight then prick?”  A boy named Mark spoke this time.

He was calling me a prick, I was impressed, coming from a prick id have expected something more violent and insulting.

“Come on Tilyer you fucking loser.” He spat at me. Now I was pissed off, I didn’t like people insulting me, and i didn't care who said it to me, i had a short temper, and if you pissed me off, i'd lose my temper, simple as that.

We stood there motionless staring into each other’s eyes as if we were planning the best way to kill one another. I took off my backpack and dropped it to the floor along with my IPod.

“Hey look guys, Tilyer wants his ass kicked.” Jack laughed.

I took off my jacket and dropped it on my backpack along with my watch and keys.