Can't Sleep

“2:47AM” was the time I read aloud of my alarm clock on my bedside table, seriously, I only fell asleep at  1 AM after going to bed at 11.

Ugh, I was fed up, restless nights were something I had never appreciated, but since I learnt how to shift, I used them as opportunities to go out for night strolls and sometimes even for hunting if I was hungry enough.

I got up and picked up my backpack, it was my old school backpack; I had recently bought a new one when I told my mom my old one was starting to get worn out.

I put in my last bottle of Mountain Dew from when Mark had given them to me.  I hadn’t heard from those three idiots since... well for about 3 weeks now. So first they disappeared then Matt... Was it a coincidence? Or was it something else? I had no idea and to be honest right now I didn’t care.

I slipped my shoes on and put on a hoodie, I was still in my pyjamas; in other words, shorts and a tank top, these were meant for summer and it was June, so I didn’t really need to change clothing, apart from wearing a hoodie, that was important, people give you weird looks at 3 in the morning when you’re wearing shorts and a tank top.

I slowly opened and closed the door behind me and as soon as that was done I was off.

I always kept the same things in my backpack, a simple list of things I always needed:

1.      Swiss Army Knife (never know when it will come in handy)

2.      Something to drink (usually Mountain Dew or water)

3.      Something to eat (Chocolate?)

4.      Spare clothes (they come in handy when your other ones tear or become muddy)

5.      Phone (camera, music, contact, pretty useful really)

6.      A black bandana (because if you get hurt its nice to tie that around the wound)

My very simple list of things that I always carried on me.

I jogged to the forest and it was well lit by the full moon. I loved running when it was a full moon, usually makes me feel better or happier.

I crawled into my bunker which I now called “The Den” because now it felt like a den, inside I had decorated it with deer antlers of every size, the biggest being the most recent. This place was like my second home and I couldn’t exactly stay away from it, I came here a lot, and even though I had exams to study for I spent most of my Sundays if I wasn’t revising or doing homework, days off, and sometimes I would even bunk off school for a day when nothing important was on just to spend the day out here. I also spent around half my Saturdays here when friends weren’t around or I didn’t have homework.

I put my backpack in the corner and took off my hoodie and placed it on a hook I made. I placed my tank top on top of my backpack and walked out. What the heck was I doing?

I puffed out the air from my lungs and started running bare foot, this was going to hurt.

I concentrated hard on shifted and I started to feel my body tingle. I was getting closer, last time I tried this I ended up with cut feet because the path of soft dirt ran out. This path was extremely soft and felt like running on carpet, but once it ran out the soft dirt became sharp stones, sticks, and even thorns which meant you couldn’t run on it without getting hurt.