Home...

As I walked up the driveway I took my keys out of my pocket and searched the one that would fit the lock of my house, it wasn’t really that hard, I only had three keys, one for my house, one for my bike lock, and one for my locker at school.

I put the key in the lock and turned it slowly.

Was this even home... I mean could I seriously call this place home.

Sure I've lived here for 5 years and sure I have family but, I was nothing like them, all my life I was wondering why I was so different to them. All these years of wondering why I was such a country boy and they were all city people, why I loved running and going to forest and why they hated hikes.

It all made so much sense, even the tiniest of things seemed to make much more sense.

I stepped into my house, took my shoes off and went into my bedroom, which luckily for me was on the ground floor pretty much next to the main door.

I loved my room, it was tidy and littered with bits and pieces from my life, trips and just stuff in general.

I had two bookshelves stacked with books and other small objects. On the top shelf lay a pair of deer antlers I had found. There was a cowboy hat on another and some pictures of me and my friends on the one below it.

One of my walls had a giant wolf poster which I loved and the other had two guitars, one electric and one semi-electric. I preferred the semi, sounded nicer and louder.

I set my backpack on the floor and my headphones on my desk as I flipped up the screen of my laptop as if it were a routine... kind of was though.

I sat down and got on the internet, I opened 3 tabs:

Facebook

Gmail

Google

No messages on facebook or Gmail so I started to research wolves into Google.

I seemed to spend my life doing this, and after finding nothing new on wolves I gave up and admitted I knew enough.

I picked up some paper and a pen and started writing down some stuff that might help me shift.

Anger...”

That was the only word I wrote down... Anger... but could pure will make me shift?

I sat pondering the idea for a while.

“DINNER” my mom shouted from the kitchen, wait what, dinner? At this time.

I shot a look at my watch and realised it was 7.

I had left school at 3:30,

Had a fight at 3:45,

Got home at... what, must have been 4:30-5ish

Means I had research and pondered for a full two hours... wow.

As I sat down at the dinner table I smiled at my sister who was sitting opposite me.

She had dark brown hair with streaks of purple in them; I guess she liked the attention.

She was pretty skinny and she loved to be seen and have a lot of attention. My sister went to the same school as me, being only 2 years younger than me, I would have loved to say I got on brilliantly with my sister... unfortunately we didn’t.

 She smiled back and went back to staring at her plate.

My step father sat next to me, he was a little shorter than me and was bold, he always wore a suit to work and at home some jeans and t-shirt. He always tried to smile and even though he wasn’t my birth father, he did care a lot for me, maybe even more than my real father.

My little brother sat at the head of the table, loudest of them all. He had blonde, curly hair and changed clothes at least once a day. Fortunately now he had school so he could only wear his school uniform then change into casual when he got home.

That 5 year old screamed louder than anyone I had ever heard, and loved the attention almost as much as my sister... maybe a bit more.

My mom approached the table holding a large pan, her naturally dark hair was dyed blonde and it looked a lot better on her. She wore jeans and a red top.

“Sorry guys, soup tonight.” She said smiling.

“Oh well, I could eat anything right now.” I said without thinking as I spun my spoon on the table.

My whole family stared at me.

“What...” I said slowly wondering if I had said something bad.

“No nothing, just... you never really comment much.” My mom replied which was true, I didn’t talk much.

I pretty much sat in silence the whole way through dinner eating my soup.

How could I shift? The question ran through my head.

I lifted my head to the sight of my whole family once again staring at me.

“What?” I said quickly realising I had missed something.

“We asked you a question” my step father said slowly.

“How, was, your, day?” my sister now said really slowly as if I was death.

“Yeah ok Lila, my day was fine.” I smiled trying not to show I had a fight.

My mother looked at me and sighed.

“So why do you have bruises on your arms and a swollen eye?”

“Oh... well.... I had a fight...” I tried not to show I was nervous but I guess that failed.

“WHAT?” my step father shouted.

“I told you, got into a fight, I'm fine, the guy isn’t so much.” I said calmly knowing I was in for some serious talking to.

“What did you do to him? Better still, why did it actually start?” he added

“Well, they were smoking, I was walking home, they started on me, he tried to punch me, we had I fight, I won, he lost and now it’s all over.”

My step father gave me a look that said “you couldn’t win a fight if you tried.”

I stood up picking up my plate and glass.

“Now if you’ll excuse me, I have homework, and I'm pretty tired, so I'm gonna go do that and then sleep.”

“Ok” my mom simply said as she hung her head down, I could tell she wasn’t best pleased with me.

I walked towards my room throwing the door open then kicking it closed without even turning around. I picked up a change of clothes and went for a shower.

I loved showers, I could actually think clearly, but this time not so much, the hot water hurt against the cuts on my side but it also numbed the bruises a bit.

When I got out I sat on my bed listening to music once again.

Unbreakable by Fireflight

“Now I am unbreakable, it’s unmistakeable, No one can touch me, nothing can stop me”

I sang out loud to myself unaware of the world outside, and to be honest I didn’t care much.

After a long while of listening to music I decided to stop, as I put down my headphones and IPod I looked across the room, steeped out and decided it was safe to go to bed.

As I lay in bed thinking about my day I realised my life could end up a lot more complicated than it was now, I might not go on to more education, I might not get a good job, I might not even get a job to start with, I might be chased down by the police or something, heck what if the military got involved, ugh, damn government, never did any good to any country they always seem to screw up.

I once again found myself with questions, but this time I knew I might find answers, the thought of shifting into a wolf and running free was a wonderful thought, almost a dream, and suddenly my day dream was invaded with the thoughts of Mark, Joe, and Jack.

Dang it, how was I supposed to sort them out, ugh, I guess I’ll have to wait and see what happens tomorrow morning.