The Bear

When I got to where I thought I heard the terrifying roar I slowed down and stared at what was ahead of me... nothing. Seriously, nothing, there was nothing here, Joe had gone, only leaving a trail of blood and his scent which would be far too easy and boring to follow and quite frankly no use to me at the moment.

Mark... well that was the thing, Mark wasn’t here.

Mark, who was a big bad bear, was gone and left nothing but some big paw marks in the soft dirt and a terrible stench called his “scent”. Honestly did the guy not wash, or did all bears smell like that, if they did I’d be sure to avoid bears in the future, but this one smelt like beer, and weed. Not pleasant.

I followed the scent a little way off and with Chris following close behind I wasn’t too worried about what was going to happen, I just wanted to find Mark and I was pretty sure Chris could handle himself... I hope.

Another roar could be heard from afar and I hurried to get to the source of the sound, what I arrived to was the side of the river, Jacks body was sprawled on the river bank with a small pool of blood around the head and torso.

Jacks body was soaked and a number of teeth marks and some slight scratches, I guess I was wrong when I thought he looked fine. What I hadn’t noticed before was a lot of bite marks from what seemed to be a wolf, Chris I'm guessing, and a few scratches here and there, Chris must have put up some fight then. His neck was bent awkwardly unlike before, so his neck must have been broken whilst being dragged here, blood was still slowly dripping from his head and larger teeth marks on his back indicated he had been picked up. Not forgetting the bent spine from where he fell.

I padded closer to him and leaned forwards to where Jacks body lay, I sniffed the air and as soon as I did I took a step back. The stench was horrible; Mark had defiantly dragged him down here, but why?

Why would a pathetic person like Mark, drag a dead friends body down here? Especially in animal form.

Chris walked up to me and frowned down at the dead wolf. I could tell he didn’t care much, but Chris was never really the best thinker, and all I could think was, this is going to get us into a lot of crap.

I felt Chris nudge me with his forehead to move on, I turned my head and snapped my jaws at him before growling, warning him to back off and not tell me what to do. I had absolutely no intention to move from here, mark had got us here for a reason, and I wanted to know why he would go through all this effort just to get me down here.

Next thing I knew my ears were ringing and the ground was shaking as a massive brown bear erupted from the cover of the trees and started stampeding towards us.

I was stunned, damn he was big, and fast, and heck was I in trouble.

Chris had already started to run away from Mark who was charging at us, well only I was left now, and Chris was most likely scared for his life at the moment hence the running away. Foolishly I didn’t move until it was almost too last, Mark reared up swiped his paw down at me, I ducked just in time to feel one of the claws scrape across my back.

I leapt forwards to avoid being crushed as he crashed back down onto all fours and then started to feel the stinging of his claw that had ripped my back, dang that hurt.

I remember I had once seen a bear on TV, it had been killed by some hunters in North America, I didn’t really stick around to hear all the info about bears and such but I did get to see them hold up its front paw, its claws, were monstrous. A single claw from a bear was bigger than my knife and although blunt, they seemed to cut through skin just fine as I had just found out.

I turned back around to see Chris... once again backing up with Mark making his way towards him.

Was I seriously going to have to save his life a second time this morning? I guess so.