From Foe to Friend

I lay down on the soft dirt staring at my paws. I was a wolf.

For the first time in my life, I felt complete, whole, myself... but now I was scared, what if I couldn’t shift back? What if someone saw me? What if the three idiots told someone?

I stood up and held my head high. That wasn’t going to happen, I was the wolf and this is my life, and for the first time I'm in control.

My plan was simple, get out of the forest, get my clothes, shift back, change, get my backpack, and get the hell out of here back home where I could be safe.

I started to run back, still a bit uneasy on feet , the world seemed to spin around me, what was happening, my vision was starting to fade slowly, and my sense of smell seemed to die down, when at first I could smell everything the idiots had on them and even the herd of deer that had passed along the trail now I seemed to smell nothing, I slowly started to lose the scent of Mark, I was still on his trail but his scent grew fader.

I looked to my left to see a mouse; I had been able to hear it at first, now I couldn’t hear it at all, what was happening?

I suddenly realised that maybe I was starting to shift back, being new to shifting and this being my first time it made a lot of sense, I wasn’t used to my wolf side.

I lost all focus and what I did see was the ground flying towards my face.

I lay motionless for a second... it was cold, wait, cold, I was a wolf I had fur... oh...

I sat up staring at myself... crap.

I was sitting in the middle of the forest, naked, how the heck was I going to get my clothes now.

Suddenly the idea sprang to mind, it was very good but it was an idea.

I crouched down with my knees tucked into my chest and shouted.

“MARK.” I waited... nothing

“MARK, I NEED YOUR HELP, GET HERE BEFORE I KILL YOU.” I was starting to get angry, and cold.

It was 4pm, and this was the south of England, I knew it could have been a lot worse but today was a pretty cold day.

Shivers ran up my spine, a had goose bumps all over and I could see my own breath in the air.

I spun my head round to the sight of Mark.

“What the fuck are you doing naked Tilyer?” he seemed shock, probable thinking I was gay or something.

“Shut it asshole and listen to me.” Anger and hatred filled my voice as I spoke “Obviously I've shifted back, and I didn’t really want to, I cant control this right now and unless you want me to shift back and tear your freaking head off, I suggest you go get my clothes.”

“You want your uniform?” he said puzzled.

“Yes you idiot, I want my bloody uniform so I can change and go home,” I waited a while, “well are you going to get that for me.

“Oh yeah, I’ll bring your backpack as well.” Mark said quickly and turned back sprinting towards my stuff.

I guessed it was only about 100feet away since id crossed the boundaries a while back and looking at it now, it seemed pretty far.

Mark came back within a few minutes and dropped my stuff in front of me.

“Thanks now leave me alone for a second so I can get changed will ya.”

“Yeah sure... am I allowed to go home...” he asked nervously. How pathetic, he was asking me for permission, ha-ha this was pretty amusing.

“No, I want to talk to you after.”

“Ok” he said as he turned away and walked a few feet.

I grabbed my trousers and quickly slipped them on; when I shifted they must have slipped off.

I picked up my shirt and stared at it, the back and side was brown with the mud I had landed in, it must have got pulled off when Joe kicked me and I hit the floor.

I put my shirt and jacket on and then slipped my watch on my wrist.

I slowly walked towards Mark who seemed pretty edgy.

“Tell me it’s the drugs Tilyer...” he said slowly.

“What?” I was confused

“TELL ME IT’S THE DRUGS” He shouted at me as he began to cry, “Tell me you’re not a werewolf.”

“Sorry Mark but... I guess I am, now listen”

Mark hung his head down and put his hands in his face as he wept.

“LISTEN TO ME” I shouted as I slapped his blood covered face, “Nothing bad will happen as long as you shut up, got that, and here.” I handed him a tissue from my pocket, “Don’t worry I haven’t used it, clean up your face.

“Thanks Tilyer” he sniffed and wiped his mouth and nose to get rid of most of the blood.

“You’re welcome.”

We stood quiet for about 5 minutes before Mark then spoke again.

“You’re not going to kill me are you?”

“Of course not Mark.”

“Ok... um listen” he moved his feet on the spot as if he was on unsteady ground, “I promise I won’t tell ok, and I won’t be mean to you anymore. Can we be friends” he said softly as he held out his hand.

This was the guy who 15minutes ago had insulted me and went on to trying to beat me up, this was the guy who had for 5 years bullied me at school, and he wanted to be friends.

What did he really want? Did he mean it? Was he serious, friends, seriously was this a joke?

“Sure...” I said as I shook his hand.

Mark simply smiled at me and gave me a small piece of paper.

“That’s my number wolf boy, text me If you want anything, I’ll help you out, and you mind if we get to know each other, I never wanted to admit it but... you were always kinda cool, always good at school, always got good grades, new a ton of stuff and kicked ass in P.E at athletics.”

“Umm... thanks Mark. Now go, I’ll talk to you tomorrow at school.”

“See ya.” Mark said as he started to run back to the lake and home again.

I stood silent, wondering what I had just done, was this safe, what was I doing.

I sighed and turned round putting my headphones back over my ears and started to run home.

This was who I was, I was the wolf and nothing could stop me.

Now I had to figure out how to shift, stay as a wolf longer, and how I was going to make it through life.