The Last Saturday.

“You ready?”

“Yup, are you?”

“Yup, now or never I guess.” I said slowly as I turned to Chris.

This was our last Saturday in the south of England before going to the USA, and we were meeting up with Alex and Chey. We were standing on a fallen down tree as Alex and Chey made their way over.

“So, why did you so urgently want to meet up?” Chey asked jokingly putting emphasis on the urgently as she let out a small laugh.

“Yeah why guys? Ha-ha” Alex Joined in. They were both smiling but as I stood up along with Chris that soon faded to a slight frown.

“Seriously... what is it?” Alex repeated more seriously this time.

I took a moment to study their faces trying to work out if they were going to get angry. “Well... Chris and I are leaving...”

“What...” Chey said slowly hardly believing me

“You heard me, Chris and I are leaving, because we are both shape shifters and we need to get out of this place. Now I would appreciate it if you gave us a little slack because this isn’t exactly this easiest thing on earth to go through.” I raised my voice slightly as I began to bubble with slight anger.

“No, I'm not giving you anymore slack Tilyer. THIS IS IT! I am fed up of you, first you come in and you are suddenly a shape shifter, secondly you them say you are ditching us to move to the freaking US of A, Thirdly you take away Chris from us and what next, we are in danger too, you hate us, and we can’t be friends. I'm fed up, goodbye Tilyer.” She screamed as her face lit up bright red, there really was no difference between her and a tomato, all I could do was stand there helplessly, what was I supposed to do now. Alex was surprised at this outburst as well and Chris was pretty shocked as well.

“It’s not his fault Chey. Alex... you believe us right?” Chris turned round to Alex.

Alex simply stood there, he looked down before he opened his mouth “I’m sorry guys, I'm with Chey on this...  you are not the friends I used to have.”

I couldn’t believe this; they were supposed to be my best friends.

“WHAT THE HECK, IS WRONG WITH YOU!” I shouted as I filled with anger “You were supposed to be our best friends; you can’t just leave like this.”

“Yeah, what the heck is wrong with you guys?” Chris shouted back at them.

“Oh shut it you filthy mutts. You will one day pay for this.” Chey spat at us.

“I couldn’t agree more.” Alex said as he took Chey’s hand.

Chris went red; Alex had been his best friend ever since they had both been 5.

“Alex you bastard, I thought I could trust you.” Chris started to run forwards and I could tell he was going to shift; his eyes were already dark brown and his ears pointing.

I started to run to Chris but it was already too late, he had shifted and was sprinting towards Alex. Anger had overpowered him and he had lost control, something that I wouldn’t tolerate due to the natural violence and danger it brought onto everyone present, this is the thing that could get him killed if he wasn’t careful and couldn’t control it.

Once again I found myself running towards Chris. He had jumped onto Alex and had pinned him to the ground, a bit like what I had done to Mark on my first shift. I slammed into Chris’s side and growled at him. I held down his head and neck with my hands and his body with my knee.

“LET IT GO” I shouted as I looked deep into his eyes “Please... let it go Chris.”

I removed my hands from his neck and head which I was holding to the ground and got up unpinning him.

He let out a small whimper and as he walked away he looked behind him one last time at the face he once knew as Alex, and now, to him Alex was all but gone and instead a traitor stood in his place for him.

“Keep him under control Tilyer, filthy dog.” Alex said as he backed away.

Chey gave me a death stare as she turned around holding Alex’s hand.

That was it... this is how it was going to end between us, our inseparable group shattered because of who we were. The one thing that made me who I was had just showed me who my true friends were and who wasn’t, and the ones who weren’t were the last people I had ever thought of being people who would hate me.

I looked down as Chris let out a long sorry filled howl. His howl had made me realise that we were different and no matter how much friendship I had with normal people, they might always turn against me. I lifted my head and howled whilst still in human form.

I turned to Chris and smiled, this was the worst goodbye every.

“How about today I teach you how to hunt.” I said trying to sound cheerful to lighten the mood a bit. To my joy an excited wolf jumped in the air and let out a short howl. I laughed to myself; I knew I could always trust Chris.

Chris smiled back at me. It was just me and him now.

I smiled and picked up his clothes on the floor and put them in my backpack which had been under the log the whole time.  I turned around and started running, I couldn’t care less about where my clothes would end up right now, and I was going to go back to the den to change anyways.

Chris followed next to me. I stared at him for a few moments before I shifted myself and kept running. That afternoon had been filled with hunting and running. Although it could have been a great afternoon with Chey and Alex... it wasn’t, it was more of a wakeup call to show us we couldn’t really trust many people. Now we only had a day left in this country, one day and we had to fend for ourselves, the thought itself was pretty scary, at the same time exhilarating and enjoyable. I didn’t know why but the thought of the USA brought a feeling deeper than freedom, my instincts told me I needed this, but at the same time that I should be careful, and to be honest I did. Chris and I would need to survive on our own and master shifting in order to protect ourselves. I smiled slightly at myself at the thought of us two being in the USA, it was going to be like a two man pack.