Hospital Beds and Family

Valerie's POV:

After finishing up with Logan we walked back to Demi's room. This time it was Dianna who was a mess. Fuck. Now I have to deal with her too.

Wilmer was seated on the recliner by the window and Dianna had a chair pulled up to the side of Demi's bed. She softly stroked her hand over and over, mumbling something to her that I couldn't quite make out. Dianna's hair was in a mess at her sides and her cheeks were stained with tears. 

I pulled up another chair next to Dianna as Logan took a spot near Wilmer and began to make small conversation. Without realizing what I was doing my hands wrapped around Dianna. I didn't cry. I didn't say anything. I just took in the warmth of her embrace hugging back around me. It was times like this in the past when I needed that hug from her. Like the first time I got beat up or when I came home crying after no one would talk to me in kindergarden. It was times like those that made me angry today. Times like those that wouldn't let love win.

"Are you okay, sweetheart?"

"No, the only family I have might never wake up." She looked in my eyes rather hurt. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that. It's just I don't know. All this is happening so fast and I don't know what to do."

"Baby girl, Demi found you. And she brought you here for a reason. Everything happens for a reason. And now we're here, together, like a family. I'm so grateful to God for that. Will you please just give me a chance?"

I glanced from her eyes to the lifeless Demi in the hosptial bed. "Alright," I surrendered. "For Demi though. I know this is what she would want."

"Okay, I'm gonna give you a few minutes with her while I pull up the car. The nurse came in before you and said we have ten minutes before visiting hours are over."

Dianna walked out and I crawled in bed with Demi. Wilmer and Logan had left me in the room alone with her. "Demi, I don't know what to do without you. There's so much that you still don't know. And now that I don't have you I won't get the chance to tell you. Why do bad things happen to good people like you? I can't even cry anymore." My arms wrapped around her sides pulled her tightly into me. "I used to hold things in when you wanted to talk but now all I want to do is let everything go. I just need someone to talk to. And if you were awake you'd probably tell me to talk to mo- I mean Dianna." I took a deep breath. "I don't even know if you can hear me. But if you can, please wake up soon Demi." One tear dripped from my cheek onto hers. I wiped it off. "Don't forget, I love you."

I closed the door to Demi's room and bumped into Wilmer who was standing outside. "Oh sorry," I laughed.

"It's okay," he forced a smile. "Logan told me to tell you that he had to go home but to text him." I forced a smile back. "But if you need anything, you have my number. Call me after school tomorrow and I'll pick you up and take you here. Okay?"

"Sounds good," I waved him off, hopping into Dianna's car. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That night Dianna had me sleep with her. She had rented a hotel room because Demi was worried about her staying with us since I was so against her. It kinda made me feel bad. As we layed in bed staring at the ceiling I spoke up. "Dianna, it's okay if we go back to Demi's. I won't do anything stupid."

She smiled at me. "I'll pack tomorrow and the we can go." We were silent for a little more. "You know I love you Valerie?"

It took a few minutes for me to think about. "Yeah, I do. And I know I haven't been the nicest, but I'm ready to start new. Can I do something?"