Believe In Me

Demi's POV:

"Come on, baby girl." I whispered, holding onto her left hand as the ambulance darted down the streets of Los Angeles to the nearest hospital. "Please, hold on for me. I need you."

After five minutes of repeating similar things to Valerie the ambulance pulled into the driveway of the ER. The paramedics rushed her out on the gernie and I followed until they went through the double doors and a nurse forcefully pulled me back. 

"No!" I fought against her arms. "I need to go with her, I'm all she has!"

"Ms.Lovato, if you want to help her you need to stay here and fill out paper work and sign forms so the doctors can perform any possible procedure to make sure she'll be okay."

"Alright," I surrendered my hands to my sides. "What do I need to do?"

The lady led me to a desk and handed me a clipboard with papers attached and a pen. It took me twenty minutes to fill everything out. I had to lie and I put her down as Valerie De La Garza... I said I was her aunt.

As I made my way to a seat in the corner to wait Wilmer walked in. "Oh baby," he said running up to me and pulling me into a tight embrace. "It's gonna be okay. I'm so, so sorry."

"Wilmer, it's not your fault." I looked him in the eyes, he felt guilty.

"But if I wouldn't have stopped you from going up there earlier... I had no idea it was that bad."

"Babe, don't blame this on yourself. None of us knew. Alright?" I comforted him, trying to stay strong myself. He pulled me in and kissed me on the lips. "I love you."

"I love you too, babe."

We sat down next to each other in silence - too afraid to talk. Remebering Valerie's letter that was shoved into my sweatshirt pocket, I pulled it out.

Dear Demi,
I'm sorry it had to end thtis way. I knew it was my only option before things got worse for the both of us. You seem so happy in your recovery and I didn't want to ruin that for you. Cole told me that all I am is troulbe - and he's right. I am worthless. And I didn't want the trouble in me to screw up anything for you.
Now, before you start thinking. None of this is your fault. It was my choice. I've been cutting since I was eleven years old. Purging since I was thirteen. Burning my skin first at age fourteen. Today I decided to let the knife dig in too deep and the pills to become too much. My plan is to take them six at a time. And before you know it,I'll be gone. 
I love you so much. There was some kind of connection between us. It wasn't just me being a Lovatic. It was something more but I can't exactly put my finger on it. Don't give up on yourself Demi. You're a stronger person than I am. And now you'll have another Nightingale watching you up from above. I'll say hi to Trenton for you. Please don't hate me any more than you probably already do.
Your nightingale,
Valerie Foster

By the end of reading the letter it was stained with countless tear tracks. I shoved it back in my pocket before Wilmer could see. It was kinda personal. And no matter what she said, this is all my fault. I should've noticed the signs. I shouldn't have let her go back to her room.

I was interuptted from my thoughts by a nurse calling, "Family of Valerie De La Garza?"

Wilmer and I stood up and followed the nurse. "So how's she doing?" Wilmer asked, knowing I couldn't get the words out of my mouth.

"Let me take you to the doctor."

She led us in front of one of the hospital rooms. This one was different then all the others. It has bars around anything that could be a potential harm. And there was a nurse in the chair looking at the patient in the room. I followed her gaze and was led to Valerie.

A man in a white coat approached us. "You must be Ms.Lovato," he offered me his hand to shake.

"Yes. How's Valerie? Is she going to be okay?" I asked worriedly, voice shaking.

"That was a tough one. She had consumed a bottle or two of pills but we were able to flush them out. Within the next six hours she should be stable and we will have to move her into a psychiatric hospital since she had evidently tried to commit suicide."

"What, no..." I fell into Wilmer's arms. I just got my baby and I was already losing her. 

"Also to make sure you are her aunt since we have no paper work, I need to do some blood tests."

God dammit. "Alright," I said emotionless.

"Follow me, don't worry. It'll be quick, we'll have results within the hour."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And sure enough an hour later we were done. He said after the blood tests I'll be aloud to go in and see Valerie. She was on one to one with a nurse and had to be supervised 24/7. 

Wilmer and I were sitting in seats next to each other in the hallway when the doctor approached us once again. 

"Alright, we got the results and it came back positive. You're definitely related. But we matched it to your moms results which we pulled from the hospital in Dallas and it turns out Valerie is her daughter."

"Oh..." I blushed, being caught in my lie. 

"Don't worry, I won't tell anyone. Something tells me that this girl doesn't know and that this is very important to you. So for now we'll just keep it all in between the doctors and us."

"Thank you so much," I cried.

"Anyting for you, Ms.Lovato. My daughter's a big fan. She was once in here as well for the same reason. And she looked up to you. You saved her life. And I can't thank you enough."

"Dr.Rahn, your daughter saved her own life. She's a strong girl." I put my hand on his shoulder reasuringly before he led us to Valerie's room. 

Valerie turned to us as we walked in. The sparkle in her eyes told me she was ashamed. "Wilmer, can you give us a minute?"

"Sure, babe." He left after giving me a kiss on the cheek.

I pulled up a chair to her hospital bed and rested my hand on top of hers. "It's gonna be okay, baby girl. I'm gonna get you through this. We're going to get through this together."

"I'm so sorry," Valerie cried. No, it wasn't a cry. It was more of a weeping. She seperated her hand from mine and covered her face. I motioned for her to scooch over and I layed with her in the bed. I pulled my arms around her side and snuggled her close. "I'm so sorry," she kept repeating.

"Baby girl," I whispered into her ear. "Don't worry. You're my little warrior. There's a light at the end of the tunnel. You're going to get there. We're getting help for you."

And with that she looked back into my eyes, hurt and all. A single tear escaped from her eye and I whiped it way with my left hand. "Promise?"

"I'm never going to leave you baby girl. I promise."

A/N
So what did y'all think of this last chapter? Please vote and comment, I honestly would love to know what you think! And if you're unsure about how this whole process works with being in the hospital after trying to leave like that... I've been there so I know. If any of you need to talk, remember, I'm here for ya!
Stay strong, lovelies <3