I took the bricks to the campfire and placed four little towers of three bricks, one on top of the other, in a small square formation on the outside of the stones so the bricks wouldn’t burn if the fire got close... then again bricks don’t burn but still. 

I didn’t think the three bricks would be enough so I ran back and got four more, to make the piles four bricks high. I guessed it looked about right and checked my watch. It was 5:23PM meaning I had some time before dinner tonight. 

We came back from patrol at around 2PM because everyone had a lay in this morning, it was Joes second day and he spent yesterday going around the territory with Chris, and I showed him the places we hunted and explained to him exactly how we hunted. We came back from patrol at around 3PM and I spent an hour reading through my book, then we had to make the pizzas and I had to sort out the grill placement.

I headed back towards the outhouse and pushed out one of the quad bikes, naturally being me I picked the black one. Last time we went into town I bought a little tin of red paint and painted “Alpha Quad” on the side with four scratch marks underneath it, purely because I felt like it and I liked the black quad bike. However this didn’t mean it was mine; we still shared all the quads, even though we never really used them.

We decided to leave the quad keys in an empty pot on one of the shelves inside the outhouse; it was an old pot of black paint which we cleaned out. I grabbed the keys for the black quad and walked back out. I shoved the keys in the ignition and fired up the quad. Fuel tank was ¾ full, awesome, no need to refill it. I turned the quad back off and grabbed the keys before going back to my room, once in a grabbed my knife and my walkie talkie. That way I could reach everyone. Since my walkie talkie was number one, Channel 1 broadcasted out to everyone, if it was number two, Channel 2 would broadcast to everyone, and so on. All the other channels were for the individual walkie talkies. I always preferred broadcasting to everyone because we didn’t really need to keep anything from each other, and the fact we never really carried them around with us. I put the knife in my pocket and clipped the walkie talkie to my shorts.

I walked back to the outhouse and quickly got some ropes. We didn’t have many but I guessed this would be enough. I tied them to the quad bike and started it up again. I revved the engine before driving off towards the south east area, with some luck, the deer could still be dragged north without too much hassle. Once I got there the deer looked... well... partial. His insides were everywhere and some of them had already been eaten by the animals of the forest, I was just hoping our territory’s marking would keep away the bigger predators away. I shoved back most of the insides into the buck and then tied a rope around his belly hoping it would keep them inside. I had to cut a few bits and pieces because they were in the way and since I didn’t like a dirty knife, I wiped the blade on my shirt. 

I then tied its hind legs together with one end of the other rope and tied the other end to the quad. It took me about twenty minutes just to drag his body up through the forest all the way up to the north east where the ravine was... twenty minutes, in a quad that could reach well over 50mph. The real problem was how badly torn up it was, I had to stop every now and then to tighten the ropes so its liver, or intestine, or stomach (what was left of them) wouldn’t fall out. Once I finally reached the ravine I untied it and dragged it over the edge. The smell of mutilated buck was quite over powering, especially with its insides spilling out everywhere.

I turned round and checked my watch, 6:05PM, it would take me about five minutes to get home, another five to put away the quad, at least a quarter hour to shower get changed, and then we could eat, but the fire would need to be started in ten minutes at most. I quickly picked up the walkie talkie and pressed the side button.

“Hey, this is Tilyer, is anyone there” I waited for a bit before repeating “Hey, it’s Tilyer, someone pick up the stupid thing” I waited a bit more before my walkie talkie made a crackling sound and someone spoke.