FP's Birthday

Gladys flipped the pancake in the pan. Everyone else in the trailer was asleep. Jellybean was in the bedroom, warm in bed. FP was knocked out on the couch with an arm shielding his eyes. Jughead was no different. He was wrapped up in blankets on the pullout couch. The stove warmed up the trailer as she cooked. Gladys put the final pancake on the stack on the counter. She turned the stove off and carried the plate over to the table. She was ready to wake everyone up.

She looked up and saw Alice's mugshot hanging on the wall. It bothered her to see her face there. They didn't see eye to eye when they were in the Serpents together. Not much has changed since then. She glared at the image before turning away. She headed to the bedroom to wake up Jellybean first. She nudged her until she was up. "G'morning, JB."

"Five more minutes," She muffled into the pillow. She hid under the covers.

"I made pancakes for everyone. Come on, it's your dad's birthday."

"Let me sleep."

"You can help me wake up the boys," Gladys pulled the blanket off of her and walked out the room. She went to go wake Jughead up next. She sat down next to him. She moved the hair from his eyes. "Wakey wakey, Jug." She told him. Jughead began to move in his sleep, awakening. He rubbed his eyes and sat up.

Jellybean walked into the kitchen and poured herself a cup of coffee. She watched her family from the distance. "What time is it?" Jughead yawned.

"Time to wake your old man up and wish him a happy birthday. Then we can all eat breakfast as a family." Gladys got up and approached FP on the other couch. She gestured for the kids to join her. Jughead stood up and did so with Jellybean trailing behind. The three looked down at FP. Jughead smiled widely and turned to Jellybean. He counted down from three. "Happy birthday, dad!" They yelled together.

FP woke up instantly. He looked at them all staring down at him. "Happy birthday, FP." Gladys added after the kids.

"Thanks," FP said pushing himself up. Jughead hugged him tightly. FP smiled and extended an arm towards Jellybean and pulled her in. "Do I smell pancakes?"

"Hell yeah, happy birthday to me." Jughead rushed over to the kitchen.

"Wrong FP, Jug." FP watched the kids run off in awe. He was glad to wake up to them in the mornings now. Gladys grabbed his face and kissed him. "Sleep well, birthday boy?"

"Not really," FP rolled his shoulder. He was trying to push the thought of that kiss out of his head.

"Maybe you'll join in on the bed tonight."

"No, I'm fine." FP began to walk to the kitchen. He pulled out a chair and Jughead handed him a plate. After breakfast FP went to the room to get changed for work. Gladys held the kids back to talk to them before they also went to go change out of their sleepwear. "I got Veronica to lend us the speakeasy tonight. Don't forget we're celebrating your father."

"Noted," Jughead said and Jellybean nodded. The kids said goodbye to their father as he left for work. Gladys stayed behind and cleaned up after they all left. She remembered about the mugshot on the wall. She stacked the clean dishes away where they belonged and walked over to the wall, yanking Alice's image off. She crumbled it up and threw it in the trash can. She had her suspicions that someone's been in the trailer while she was gone and she wouldn't have to take a wild guess to know who. She stared at it in the trash can. A devilish smile grew on her face.

•••

FP was lured to the speakeasy by his kids. Birthday decorations were everywhere. A couple of his friends were in attendance, including Fred and Tom by the bar. Gladys walked over to him. "Welcome to your big fifty (he's not fifty!)," She announced loudly. The crowd cheered. Jughead led him to a table. Gladys signaled for Jellybean to grab the cake. Gladys walked up to the stage and grabbed the mic. She spotted the young girl coming with the cake so she began to sing, "Happy birthday to you." Everyone joined in on the song with her. "Happy birthday to you."

Alice came down the stairs to join in on the celebration. Betty left her side to rush over to Jughead. She caught up on the song as she took a seat next to him. Alice reached the bottom of the stairs and watched. Her wide smile slowly faded when she saw his wife get closer to him. FP blew the candles on his cake out. He was about to bite into it when Gladys grabbed his face, kissing him a happy birthday in front of everyone. FP wasn't expecting the kiss but knowing Betty was here that meant someone else was too. He looked over at the stairs to see Alice walking back up and away. She didn't want to stay. He felt trapped. He couldn't easily go run after her but he wanted to. Gladys saw the look on her face and was satisfied. Marking her territory was her specialty.

•••

Alice worked up the courage to visit FP the following day. She knew she could find him at work. She walked into the sheriff's station and headed to his office. She was hurt. She was heartbroken.

She pushed his door open and walked in. FP's head shot up. It pained him to see her this way, especially when he knew he caused it. They looked at each other, distraught, for a few silent seconds. "Do you love her, FP?"

FP was speechless and hurt. It was a complicated question to answer. "I can't answer that."

"Yes you can."

"Do you love her, FP?" Alice repeated.

"It's complicated."

"Do you love me?" FP wanted to say yes badly but couldn't get the words out. Alice looked even more hurt. "Did you ever?"

"She's their mother," FP referred to Jughead and Jellybean.

"No," Alice shook her head. "You don't get to use that excuse." FP walked around his desk. Alice put her hand up, signaling him to stop. "You can't even tell me if you love me. It's always the same with you." She was frustrated. "You tell me to leave Hal," Alice pointed out. "And I finally did. But you? You can't make up your mind. If you'd love me you wouldn't hurt me like this."

"Alice," FP took a step closer and she took one back. "I can't give you the answer you want to hear."

"Well when you decide you can love me, call me. I'll just pretend my heartbreak didn't happen." Alice sarcastically told him as she walked to the door. She put her hand on the door knob and turned to look at him. "We can't keep doing this, this whole act, any longer." She walked out before he could say anything. FP stood frozen in place. He let this happen once again.

•••

I predict that we will have our hearts broken. Jughead's birthday, they had a snarky run in on the street. FP's retirement party, Alice left because she couldn't watch him up on the stage. But I hope most of my predictions for the episode turn out to be wrong.

On a side note, FP can't be 50. He's in his early 40s! Charles was born 25 years ago when they were seniors, based on what we know about parentdale in season 1 and season 2. I know in his mugshot he shares a birthday with Skeet but the math is all wrong for his character.