Coming Back V2

Alice usually strolled around town with Hermione. At least once a month they would plan out a walk to catch up on their lives post high school. Today they spiced things up and went on a hiking trail. It was a nice walk along Sweetwater. "I think I really did the stupidest thing I could have done breaking things off with Fred. Hiram is the complete opposite and I don't know if I could deal with it any further."

"I love you H, but he's moved on to Mary. They seem to be hitting it off well."

"I know," Hermione sighed. "I was a stupid teenage girl in high school."

"Trust me," Alice took a seat on a bench. "I was even more stupid."

"I highly doubt that," Hermione took a seat beside her. "Alice Smith, stupid? Not in my book."

"High school was one wild rollercoaster and I'm glad it's over."

"It's been like five years. I think I've gotten over it," Hermione chuckled. "But it feels like just yesterday we were sitting in a booth at Pop's with the boys."

"Yeah," Alice put on a sad smile. Hermione was quick to notice. "Sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"It's fine. Let's just forget about it." Alice wanted to change the subject.

"Does a milkshake sound good to you right now?"

"It sounds perfect," Alice stood back up. She walked beside her back down the hill. They had to walk across the bridge to get back to the car but there was a man standing in the way looking down at the river. "Excuse us."

"Sorry," He said in a deep voice before stepping aside. The two women caught a glimpse of half of his face. The voice sounded a little too familiar to Alice though. Hermione brushed past him but Alice stayed behind. He turned to face Alice when he sensed her watching him. He took a good look at her face. "Al-" He wasn't sure if he could still call her that. "-ice?"

"I hate you," She said in hysterics. She shoved him back against the bridge.

"Alice," He grabbed her hands to stop her from hitting him.

"FP?" Hermione caught on. She came back to be an aid to Alice.

"How dare you just show up out of nowhere after leaving for so long?"

"Can you give us a minute?" FP asked Hermione kindly.

"I'll be in the car," Hermione directed to Alice. Alice gave him another whack to the chest.

"You don't need to hit me. I get it. You hate me," FP felt guilty for leaving but it was something he had to do. It felt right at the time. Seeing her so upset made him hate himself. He never liked seeing her like this. "I'm sorry but you chose Hal. I thought you didn't love me anymore."

"Didn't love you anymore? Do you know how many nights I laid awake hoping you were okay?" FP pulled her against his chest as he held her. "Hoping that you didn't go hurting yourself, going who knows where, after you joined the army."

"It's okay."

"I haven't heard from you in five years. I had no way of talking to you or making sure you were doing alright."

"I'm sorry," He deeply meant his apology. "But I also couldn't bare talking to you while I was out there. I knew if I did I would have gotten more attached to you. I wouldn't have been able to do anything with you in my mind all the time. But it's okay. I'm back and I'm okay."

"It's not that easy, FP. You can't just expect me to love you just because you came back. I'm with Hal."

"Well then leave him," FP blurted out without thinking. He realized what he had said but it was too late to take it back.

"You can't just assume I would walk out of a relationship just for you."

"I know. I'm-"

"But I love you too much to let you go again." Alice couldn't bare lose him again now that he was back. "I want you. I need you."

"I need you too," FP cupped her face. He took his shot and kissed her. There was that spark there always was. The love they once shared was still there. "I loved you once and I'd hate myself if I were to say I still wouldn't."