Work

•••

•••

Uncle Fred came over to help Alice fix the shower but he ended up playing with Peewee. Alice was in the kitchen making dinner while he kept Peewee occupied. Fred took Peewee out to the backyard and he taught him how to fly a kite. Peewee was squealing to see his new dragon kite fly. "It's flying!"

"Now let's move it a little to the right so it doesn't go into the tree," Fred adjusted his hands. The kite flew away from the big tree in their yard.

"Fred! Have you fixed the shower yet?" Alice stood at the door looking at the two boys. "I'm not paying you to play with a kite."

"You're not paying me at all," Fred laughed.

"Can you please just fix it before FP gets home? I don't want him to smell like hamburger grease in bed."

"I'm right on it," Fred reeled the kite down. "I've got to go fix something for your parents. Can we fly kites later?"

"Uncle Fred playing!" Peewee whined to his mother to let him stay with him instead.

"I know baby but we don't want daddy to smell like sweat."

"Daddy can use sink," Peewee crossed his arms. He wanted to play with Fred.

"We don't want that bud," Fred picked him up. "How about you be my little helper?"

"Peewee help!" Peewee clapped. Fred took him upstairs to the bathroom. He closes the toilet seat and sits him down. Peewee watches him pull tools out of his toolbox. "What you doing?"

"Drilling," Fred answered.

"Can Peewee drill?"

"Sorry bud but if I let you use this your mommy is going to get mad at uncle Fred."

"Mommy don't need to know."

"Who says?" Fred chuckled.

"Daddy"

"Well whatever shenanigans you and your daddy do is none of my business." Fred locked his lips. Peewee got off the toilet and looked into his toolbox. "What this?"

"Oh no don't grab that," Fred looked over at him. He accidentally drilled into the pipe and water came bursting out. He stepped away and took the screwdriver away from the little boy, not wanting him to hurt himself.

Peewee laughed and ran over to the water coming out of the wall. He got himself all wet before Fred got to pull him away. Alice came upstairs when she heard the pipe break. "What happened?"

"Uncle Fred silly," Peewee laughed. He held his tummy from all the laughter he was letting out. He went back under the water.

"No Peewee let's not get wet," Alice tried to grab him but he ran out of the room. She looked over at Fred who was only laughing instead of fixing the problem. "Fred, you were supposed to fix the shower not break it."

"Aw come on Alice. It's a little funny. Have some fun," Fred splashed water onto her. She gasped from the cold water and he ran away. She chased after him. Fred almost tripped on Peewee's shirt on the floor in the hall. He had taken it off as he ran. Peewee spotted him and ran. Fred kept running because Alice was hunting him down.

FP came home after a long day at work and heard the laughter upstairs. "Honey, I'm home!" He yelled but no one came to greet him. Alice and Charles were busy upstairs trying to corner Fred. FP went to go find them. He found them all in the bathroom. Fred was stuck in the bathtub with Alice holding him down and Charles splashing water on him.

"I'm home," FP said again.

"Hi baby," Alice quickly said before concentrating on Fred again. "Hi daddy," Charles said without even looking at him. FP was hoping for a hug and some kisses from his family.

"Splash FP!" Fred yelled. The three were laughing without FP. FP put on a sad smile and walked away. He went downstairs and laid down on the couch away from everyone. A few minutes later Fred came down with a towel to dry himself off. "What are you doing all by yourself?" Fred sat down on a couch in front of FP.

"I think my family likes you better than me."

"Why would you say that?" Fred genuinely asked.

"I came home and wasn't welcomed home like I used to be. They love you so much that they're forgetting about me."

"They're not going to love you any less. We were just caught up in a little game that's all."

"Today it's a just little game. What about next time? I've been working so much that I don't get to see my family as much as you do."

"They love you FP," Fred assured him.

Peewee came running down the stairs in a new, dry outfit. He ran to the living room where Fred expected him to run to FP but he was wrong. "Uncle Fred! Look I'm dry now!" Peewee leaped into his lap. Fred looked at the sad look on FP's face. The man was feeling jealous with Peewee preferring him over his old man. "How about you go show daddy how dry you are now?" Fred pointed at FP.

"Can we play kites now?"

"How about you ask your dad?" Fred tried again but Peewee was set on playing with him.

FP got up and went to his room. He ran into Alice and thought she was going to ignore him too but she pulled him into a kiss. "Hey baby."

"I was starting to thing you were forgetting about me," FP happily smiled. He wrapped his arms around her.

"How could I forget that diner smell?" Alice pecked a kiss on his lips. "This handsome man is unforgettable."

Fred cleared his throat to grab their attention. He was under the doorframe with Peewee. "Kids in the room." He smirked. "Someone wanted to steal FP away."

"Me someone!" Peewee giggled, spoiling the anonymous identity.

"Come over here," FP gestured for his son to come to him. Fred sets Peewee down. Fred walks over to them as a joke but Peewee stops him by tugging on his pants. "Peewee, uncle Fred! Daddy call me!"

"Yeah uncle Fred," FP said. Peewee ran to his legs and he picked him up. Peewee scrunched his nose. "Daddy smell like burgers."

"This is why we fix the showers not break them, Frederick." Alice jested.

"He can take a shower in my house until I fix it."

"But daddy can use sink," Peewee says clinging onto him. He didn't want him to leave so he would rather his father use the sink and soap.

"I need a shower, Peewee." FP laughed. He thought the idea was sweet though. He was convinced he wasn't being forgotten and replaced.