The Evernevers

I picture Jason Priestly from Beverly Hills, 90210 as Edgar Evernever

•••

Alice was sitting at the dining table eating breakfast. Betty came down the stairs yawning. She turned the corner and saw her mother picking at her food. Betty approached her and took a seat next to her. She had grabbed one of the pancakes on the stove. "Good morning mom." Betty looked at her. Alice did not look up from her plate. "Good morning honey," She deadpanned. She continued to sweep the pancake around with her fork.

"Feeling any better?" Betty asked already knowing she hasn't. She just hoped she was at least slightly getting there.

Alice didn't say anything. She left the fork on her plate and got up. "I think I'm going to go get the mail," She announced wrapping her robe once again. Betty had her eyes glued onto her mother. Things were still the same as they have been the last few weeks. No source of happiness found itself to be thrown at Alice for her to cling onto.

Alice walked down the steps to her mailbox and opened it. There were a few house bills to attend. She hasn't had the energy to look through them before so she kept putting them aside. She took them out and saw another envelope tucked inside. It was a handwritten letter from FP. She was about to read the cover but was distracted by an upcoming girl. She shoved it into the pile in her hand unaware it was from him and grabbed the rest of the mail.

"Hello. I'm your new neighbor Evelyn. I just moved in next door with my father." Evelyn introduced herself. Alice didn't say anything but she sounded like a nice girl. Evelyn awkwardly stood there seeing that her new neighbor blankly stared at her. Betty came out to check on her mother but saw that she was not alone. She went to go join them by the mailbox. "Hi I'm Evelyn. I just moved here with my dad," Evelyn introduced herself to Betty now. She looked back at her house and saw that her dad just stepped out. "Dad! Come meet our neighbors!"

Edgar came over to greet the two women. He gave them a warm smile. "Hello, I see my daughter already introduced herself. I guess that leaves me to it," He chuckled. "I'm Edgar. We're the Evernevers."

"Evernevers?" Betty thought it sounded familiar. She's heard it somewhere. "You must be from the farm. You know my sister Polly."

"Ah yes Polly Cooper," Edgar remembered her. "You must be her sister Betty. She talked about you alot. All good things of course. And you must be her mother Alice. I was told I'd be working with you."

"Yes," Betty answers for her knowing she wasn't going to. She still wasn't in the state of mind to be friendly with people. "How about you come in for breakfast? It would be nice to welcome you two to the neighborhood."