Chapter One

Why does the class. Look different? Even from the back? The back seat of the class?

How could one kiss. Or something near to that. Change that face? And Mr. Nelson sees it. Even from the front. This girl never smiles. It's like a miracle.

For she has never been touched before.

Mr. Nelson. The old man. With white. And almost balding hair. Surely wants to speak. To Elisabeth Simpson. To the ugliest of them all.

But even before a word. Storms in the beautiful stranger. Lukas Scottville. Why does he have. To look so perfect? So wonderful? Like he has no flaw? No one can believe. That this boy has flaws.

Even Mr. Nelson. Stunned by this face. A new stranger. Welcome to Winnbell. It's him! Elisabeth Simpson sees that. Yet again like magic.

Their eyes meet.

Thoughts do stream. In his mind. The mind of him. Lukas Scottville. The perfect of them all. Why would a girl. Just like the rest. Sit alone? At the back of the class?

He has not understood. That it's a school. That it's a world. That sees 'difference'. In a sense that is odd. Yet even now. That he looks at her. No one seems. Even to notice her.

And Mr. Nelson. Welcoming him. With all his heart. This new boy. Who speaks. More confident. Than anyone. In that class. Has ever spoken.

And when it has come. All down to the time when. He should sit. He does not find a seat. At the back of the class. Even him. He is one of them. He joins the rest. Just why?

Where is the smile? That had covered. The ugliest of them all? Why has it sunk? Why is it faded? Is it all because. She lied to herself? For once in her life? That a person. Had once seen. The invisible her.

She was wrong. All through.

It takes hours. For that final bell to ring. Where Lukas sits. The perfect of them all. He sits with Allison. Allison Parker. The meanest of them all. And she has known him already.

For slowly when the bell rings. They are together. Standing. Smiling. And like the bravest thing. He already has his arm. Around her waist. Allison's waist. He really is. The perfect of them all.

She wishes that this was her. That the arms. Would surround her. She does not know why. But she wants it. Maybe because. For the first time ever. The ugliest of them all. Has been touched.

She wants so much. To be like Allison Parker. To carry on that beauty. But then she sees. What is the point? Of having all that? The most beautiful of them all. Yet the meanest of them all?

And today. Though her heart has been broken before. A thousand and times more.

Today. Today felt like the first day. The first time. Like she has done it to herself.

Her great expectations!