11: The Reunion (NEW ART)

"Good morning, Fuqin and family and Tu Cho." A woman in green greeted them in the yard as they prepared to leave for the market for food. "I am Joo Dee. I have been asked to escort Miss Tu Cho to the Avatar's house in the upper ring."

Tu Cho smiled at the family she'd stayed with for the last three months. "Fuqin, Muqin, Zhu, thank you all so much for allowing me to stay in your home."

Zhu hugged Tu Cho. "Thank you for spending time with me!"

Muqin smiled. "It has been great to have you in our home. I hope your life continues to be happy."

"It has been wonderful to have someone so nice in our home." Fuqin put his arm around Muqin's shoulders. "Send us a letter some time."

Tu Cho waived happily to the family as she followed Joo Dee.

~~~

Tu Cho knocked on the door with a smile and Katara awnsered. "To Cho! You came!" Katara hugged Tu Cho and pulled her inside.

"Of course I did!" Tu Cho smiled. "I wouldn't miss seeing you guys for the world!" Tu Cho pulled a gold belt buckle from the pocket of her dress. "I know it's a little late but I got this for Sokka's birthday. It says 'courage.' Will he like it?"

"He'll love it but I think he'll be happiest to see you." Katara gestured towards an unhappy looking young girl in Earth kingdom attire. "This is Toph."

Tu Cho smiled. "Aang's Earth bending teacher. I'm Tu Cho."

Toph made a noise in her throat like she was trying to figure something out. "Hi."

"Katara have you-" Sokka came into the room from another room in a bus boy's outfit and looked up at Tu Cho, eyes wide. "Tu Cho!" He rushed to put his arms around her. "You came!"

"Of course, Sokka." Tu Cho smiled and hugged him back. She kissed his cheek. "I've missed you so much." She stepped back. "I have something for you." She pulled the buckle from her pocket again. "Sorry I missed your birthday, Sokka. I'm afraid I was a bit busy here in Ba Sing Se."

Sokka smiled as he set his hands on the buckle. "It's beautiful, Tu Cho. Thank you." He kissed her cheek awkwardly, seemingly unsure as to if he should.

Tu Cho felt her eye twich. In her minds eye she saw Sokka in a wolf warrior's tribal costume. Tu Cho gave an awkward laugh.

Sokka seemed to remember something. "Katara! Is she going to the party?"

"A party? I don't have a party dress." Tu Cho said.

"I have one you can wear. I think we're about the same size. I've done a bit of shopping since we got here... maybe a little bit too much..." Katara smiled and ran off to find one.

"Aang!" Sokka ran off.

Toph grabbed Tu Cho's arm. "I figured it out. You're pregnant, aren't you?"

Tu Cho's eyes went wide. "Please don't tell them yet. I'm waiting for the right time."

"Fine." Toph crossed her arms. "It's not my problem anyway."

"Thank you, Toph." Tu Cho looked back up when Katara ran out with a beautiful green and white silk dress with flowers embroidered on it. "It's beautiful." She touched the dress.

"Well, try it on!" Katara encouraged.

Tu Cho gave a tiny giggle as she went to change for the party. The dress was long but light, and not quite floor length on the 16 year old. She smiled as she took her Kyoshi fan from the bag that had sat on her back. The gold fan didn't quite match but helped Tu Cho to feel secure. Her gold hair piece that had held her top knot had been a security item for years but the man who attacked her had taken it with him. Now her fans, a reminder that she could defend herself, were all she had. She stepped out of the room to find Sokka and Aang in busboy outfits and Toph and Katara in their lady like Earth kingdom dresses that were very similar although Katara's had a cloud motif.

The scene stood out as a stark reminder of the differing social classes she and Sokka had grown up in

Tu Cho had grown up in the fire nation royal palace as a princess (all be it, not in her father's eyes) and Sokka had most likely grown up in an igloo. Sokka's tribe most likely believed in the it takes a village to raise a child, a sentiment far from shared by the fire nation. Even just the darker skin tone would tell people he wasn't a fire nation native and therefore of lesser class than her in her home country. How low she would sink in his eyes when her father found out. It made her giggle to think about it.

"You look amazing!" Sokka's jaw dropped.

Tu Cho blushed and covered her face with her fan. Sokka looked a little hurt but smiled when she revealed she was blushing and giggling.

Aang was starting at Katara as Tu Cho joined her. "Wow, you look beautiful."

Sokka flicked him in the forehead.

Tu Cho giggled but Katara was about to say something when Toph placed her fan in front of Katara's mouth. "Don't talk to the commoners, Katara. First rule of high society."

Katara looked to Tu Cho then back to Aang. "We'll get in the party, and then find a way to let you in through the side gate."

Toph, Katara, and Tu Cho climbed into the carriage awaiting them at Tu Cho's request. As soon as they had borded, Tu Cho pulled out a small parchment and her pencil. She drew and wrote and folded until it matched the image in her mind. She finished it off with a splash of red make up to create a broken seal.

Tu Cho looked up at Katara who was watching her. "This won't get us all in..."

Katara smiled. "Don't worry. Toph should be able to get us in."

"Then I'll meet you inside..." The carriage stopped and Tu Cho pushed the door open. She helped Toph out then Katara. "Ask for the Pangs."

"Got it." Toph gave a nod.

They separated from each other and joined the line of fancy guests.

At the palace gate a guard was checking out invitations. He took the fake invite from Tu Cho and looked it over. He handed it back. "Welcome, Miss Tu Cho Pang."

Tu Cho smiled as she loftily said, "My plus-es will be a little bit behind me. Please let me know when they arrive."