Chapter 18: Angry Fangirls Are After Me, Wow I'm Flattered

Dating one of the most popular guys in school really did have its setbacks. Number one on the list would definitely be "angry fangirls" and being on the receiving end of their wrath.

Oh, come on. It's not like they scare me.

Or maybe they do.

Arriving at school earlier with Zach was as overly dramatic as you could imagine it to be. It was a scene from a bad cliche teen movie come alive. A god-awful silence ensued when we walked in. Holding hands.

Like, what's your deal?

Can't a lowly high school girl date a gorgeous boy and not be scrutinized by the public?

I swear, this world is wrong.

It was later that day when I realized that my day was just progressing from bad to worse.

Lunch came by quickly and I tore through the throng of students making their way to the cafeteria. Of course, the derisive looks thrown at me by some Regina George wannabes didn't escape my eyes.

One was even blunt enough to drop the s-bomb that had me grinding to a halt.

"Slut." The word was uttered with too much hate and venom that my impulses reacted instantaneously.

Narrowing my eyes, I slowly turned and came face to face with a thin blonde in a micromini. She was leaning against what seemed to be her locker, her posse of fake Barbie dolls backing her up.

They looked utterly ridiculous.

"What did you say?" I asked in a low whisper, hoping I sounded menacing as I towered over them. I clenched and unclenched my fist - a movement that wasn't left unnoticed by micromini girl.

She swallowed nervously, but instantly collected herself, looking completely undeterred. We stared each other down, both unwilling to be put off by the other. I waited for her to say something, but she didn't. I took it as my cue.

"What's your problem?" I hissed, taking a step towards her.

Unfazed, Micromini just rolled her eyes at me. "You, obviously."

"Really?" I said, pretending to act all giddily excited. "I'm really flattered."

Micromini's nostrils flared and I did a quick mental happy dance for that.

"You think you're funny?" She asked through gritted teeth.

"I don't know. What do you think?" I tried to sound nonchalant.

"Bitch," she spat. "You think you're so cool just because you're dating Zach Matthews? I bet he's gonna leave you sooner or later when he finally realizes you're never good enough for him."

Ooh, so she's just another Zach-crazed fangirl. I should've known.

I laughed humorlessly. "You wish."

Then I left.

*        *        *        *

"Hey, what's eating you?" Zach asked when I slumped on the seat next to him. He abandoned the popular table to eat lunch with me. It was avery sweet gesture, but I was too frustrated to care.

"Your stupid fangirls," I said, dejected.

"What do you mean?" He chuckled, completely clueless.

I was about to answer when a familiar voice cut me off.

"Zach, Zach, Zach." It was Gwen, taking the seat next to me. She patted my boyfriend on the back and shook her head playfully. "Don't tell me you're not aware of your social status?"