Chapter 35: Since You And I Happened

Things between Chase and I have been smooth for the past few days that we were together. It was pretty much alright most of the time, except for some occasional glares here and there from jealous Regina George wannabes.

I'm not sure if it had to do with the fact that everyone was either afraid or in awe of Chase that made them leave us alone in peace. Although I would admit that I was betting on the former.

Little did I know that it was simply the calm before the storm.

"Aren't you excited for the homecoming dance next week?"

I looked up from the book I was reading and directed my gaze to Gwen. "Not really."

"What? But why?" She queried, her face a mask of confusion.

"Because,uh, I'm not a fan of dances?" I offered.

It was a lie though. God knows how excited I was for next week's event. In fact, I've already pictured in mind the dress I was gonna wear, my hair and makeup, the lovely decorations that will be hung around the gym, and the dance I was gonna share with Chase. I've already pictured a very memorable night.

The only problem was that Chase haven't asked me out yet.

"Silly," Gwen said to me. "That's not enough reason to not feel even a little excitement. The homecoming dance is one, if not the most awaited event of the school."

I shrugged. "Well, I'm not sure if I'm going.."

"But why?"

I mentally debated against myself if I should open up to her and eventually decided for it. "It's just that... Chase haven't asked me out yet."

Gwen's response definitely broke the scale when it came to "unexpected". Can you believe it? She simply laughed at me! "Seriously, Carli? That's your problem?"

I frowned. "Yes. And it's not even funny."

Gwen laughed again. "But it is! You're getting worked up over something like that."

"But it's a big deal!" I retorted.

"Carli," she started. "Chase is your boyfriend. Of course he's gonna ask you out. That's like an unwritten dating rule."

She had a point. I was simply letting my insecurities get to me. But still. I don't want to come out as presumptuous. It would be better if I heard it from Chase himself.

"It's just that I don't want to assume things that easily."

"But you're not assuming, Carli. And it's not like Chase is just some random guy. He's your boyfriend for crying out loud. He'll be stupid enough to not ask you out."

I sighed. "But what if he doesn't want to go with me? I mean, he's been going all by himself for the past few years. It's not like I'm that important to significantly change that fact just because we're now dating."

Gwen rubbed her forehead in exasperation. "That's nonsense. You know what Carli, you're just over-thinking. Stop that before it kills you."

What Gwen doesn't know was that I really was slowly dying inside.

My conversation with Gwen still hasn't left my thoughts until later that afternoon.

All I could do was stare at my reflection at the bathroom mirror, contemplating what I'd do if Chase really won't take me to the dance. I was so deep in thought I didn't realize that Ashley and her friend Gemma have already entered.