4: Fire Attack on Kyoshi Island

Tu Cho sat down for a second. "I haven't trained this hard since I first started my training." She gave a small laugh.

"How long ago did you start your training Tu Cho?" Sokka sat down beside her.

"Not too many years ago now..." She thought back. "Nearly 4 years now. I was twelve, the oldest in the class." She giggled. "All of the other girls were around seven."

"Really?" Sokka smiled. "You don't seem as... Um..."

"Extreme feminist as the others?" Tu Cho smiled.

"Yeah. That." Sokka rubbed his head. "You seem much more open to teaching everyone to fight. Is that how you climbed through the ranks?"

"What do you mean?" Tu Cho asked.

"Suki is the leader right? You have the same head pieces even though she seems to have a higher rank than you... So... Are you two like generals or what?"

"Suki is the leader," Tu Cho said. "She was even a natural born military leader. I was born with great insight, but I'm not all that strong... I can hold my own for a while but I need help. I was born weak, especially for where I came from, and it caused me to be cast aside by almost everyone. I have honorary status as a leader because my foresight has never been wrong. I'm a strategist but... I could leave and nothing would really be affected here. I'm hardly even strong enough for training others. By the end of the day, I doubt I'll be the one sparing with you. I'll just be too tired."

"Weak for where you came from?" Sokka asked. "From where I sit, you're pretty strong. Where are you from?"

"I wasn't born here on Kyoshi." Tu Cho looked at the ceiling. "I wasn't even born in the Earth kingdom. But they took me in as...as an orphan, not knowing anything about me and taught me to fight. I believe that everyone should be able to defend themselves, boy or girl, but traditionally the Warriors are an all female fighting force."

"That's an interesting perspective..." Sokka crossed his arms. "So where do you come from?"

"That's not important." Tu Cho hopped up. "Let's get back to work. If Suki sees us resting when she brings in the next training group she'll think I'm going too easy on you."

Tu Cho sat watching Sokka train with Suki, as she had grown tired, when suddenly she thought she heard a whisper

Tu Cho sat watching Sokka train with Suki, as she had grown tired, when suddenly she thought she heard a whisper. "Fire nation..."

Tu Cho jumped up as suddenly as Oyaji appeared in the door. "Firebenders have landed on our shores! Come quickly, girls!"

Tu Cho and Suki ran to get the other warriors with Sokka just behind them.

"You can't hide from me forever!" A scarred Prince Zuko yelled as Tu Cho found herself in the center of the fight, looking up at a face she'd only seen in the mirror for years. "Find him!"

Suki took on the Fire Prince herself. She moved away to avoid a blast from the lost princess's twin brother. Suki jumped to avoid another and attempted an attack from the air. The war rhino used a mighty sweep of it's tail to knock Suki from the air. Zuko shot fire at the downed leader of the warriors but Sokka took up defence against Zuko, dispersing the fire with his fan in a move Tu Cho had taught him.

Zuko moved to attack Sokka. Tu Cho jumped from her position on the roof and tackled Zuko to the ground. She quickly righted herself.

Sokka still in Kyoshi garb took up a fighting stance with Suki and Tu Cho.

Zuko pushed himself up and rapidly spun around on his hand while shooting fire from his feet, knocking his unrecognized twin sister against a house, dropping her fans to the ground, and Suki against a pole. Suki collapsed in pain as Tu Cho held her chest. Having the air knocked from her lungs had hurt.

Zuko attacked Sokka but Sokka jumped the fire. As soon as he landed again, Zuko swept his feet from underneath him. Sokka fell to his back and Zuko jumped over him to the middle of the street. He looked angrily around. "Nice try, Avatar! But these little girls can't save you."

Aang appeared on the other side of the street. "Hey! Over here!"

Zuko turned around. "Finally!" Zuko commenced the fight by sending two fire balls in Aang's direction.

Aang ducked underneath the first and used his staff to decimate the next fire ball. He rapidly spun the staff over his head, propelling himself in the air.

He landed in front of Zuko, who immediately kicked the staff out of his hands.

Aang jumped up and landed between Tu Cho's dropped fans. He stood up and picked up the fans with his airbending.

Zuko charged Aang with his fist held stretched out before him.

Aang spun around a few times to create a bigger momentum and used the extra power of his swirl to blast Zuko into the same nearby house as his sister with a strong blast of air. Aang looked sad and lowered the fans. He ran off down the street.

Tu Cho sat up painfully, holding her side, and looked over at Zuko. "Zuzu..." Tu Cho lightly touched Zuko's scar. "I'm so sorry..."

Zuko's eyes opened lightly and lightly he touched Tu Cho's arm although it was clear by his tone that he was seeing his twin back when they were young. "It's wasn't your fault Kija Rei... You can't... See... The future..." His eyes closed again.

Tu Cho stood up. "I can't just sit around..." She held her side as she moved to find Sokka who had disappeared from the spot in the road. Tu Cho quickly found them leaving. She hobbled her way to the group.

"Tu Cho!" Sokka put Tu Cho's arm around his neck to hold him up. "Are you okay?"

"Mostly my ego," Tu Cho chuckled painfully. "But also my ribs..."

Suki stopped them. "There is no time to say goodbye, you two."

Sokka looked at her. "What about, I'm sorry?"

Suki was surprised. "For what?"

Sokka looked regretful. "I treated you like girls when I should've treated you like warriors."

Suki smiled. "We are warriors..."

Tu Cho kissed Sokka's cheek. "But we are girls too." Tu Cho adjusted herself to have Suki help her. "I need a healer, Suki."

"I'll send for a healer once the fire nation ship is gone." Suki helped Tu Cho sit down again the wall. "You get out of here. We'll hold them off."

"Good luck, Sokka," Tu Cho smiled and waved good bye.

Sokka ran to Appa and they took off with a "Yip yip" from Aang.

Oyaji soon found Tu Cho and helped her up. Suddenly rain fell from the sky. He smiled gratefully. "Thank you, Avatar."

Tu Cho looked at the bison as the team flew off. "I'll see you again soon, Team Avatar..." She looked to the ship following the bison. "And Prince Zuko..."