Coming Home, Part II

There was nothing but sunlight.

Standing there, in the the opening of the white picket fence, I looked over at him.

Ed smiled back, giving that wide grin of his.

I could only smile in return.

I looked back to the home, the grip on my freshly-bought things increasing.

I looked behind myself, giving Ed's hand a small squeeze. He grinned back at me, and I commited that sight to memory.

I opened the door with a key that hadn't been used in almost three years. I took in a breath, and this time I didn't feel scared... If anything, I just felt excited.

It was a new start. A fresh year. The timing couldn't have been more perfect.

The first thing I did was stride over to the kitchen counter and rip up the note. First in half, then in fourths, in eighths... It was the first thing I dropped into the trash can I had dragged into the center of the room. This place had some cleaning that was long overdue.

My soon-to-be husband didn't even ask if I wanted help. As soon as I started clearing away the containers littering the floor, he started cleaning up as well. It was strange; an odd parallel of past and future.

We cleaned, picking up this and that. Remnants of an old life, an old self.

I had never felt so happy.

Our cleaning eventually lead us to the bedroom, a room that hadn't been touched during my sentence. But there was something about being on this bed again, my chest heaving with breaths as I watched Ed unbutton my shirt. My legs spread a bit wider, and I saw his eyes become a little more lustful; pupils expanding just a tiny bit more as his hand dropped below my skirt, flicking it over onto my stomach as his other hand quickly started removing my shirt.

My grin was never so wide.

_____________

"Are you done?"

"Not yet," he said before pecking my lips and lounging back down. He picked up the pen, positioning it at the book again. "I'll be done in a few."

I nodded, relaxing back against the bed, snuggling against the sheets. A few hours, a few minutes; it didn't matter to me how long he took. I would be perfectly happy spending my life just like this.

Moments passed, and I heard the chirping of birds. Perfect...

It took me back, to a suite where sunlight filled the room, warming my back and doing nothing against the blush caused by Ed's touch.

I blinked back into consciousness as he smiled a little, head tilting to the side in adoration as he stared at what I knew to be the last sketch.

I crawled to his side and gently settled back against the pillows, looking at the page and taking in a deep breath...

This was it...

I saw myself, my hair curled out around me, plump bosom nuzzled against the mattress, the sheet daintily draped over the small of my back.

All in all... it was...

Breathtaking.

I felt tears breach my eyes, and instantly I felt Ed's stare go to me, alarmed.

He was about to open his mouth, ask if I didn't like it, but I smiled. Lips parting in a genuine, carefree grin.

"It's great," I told him. And I put my hand on his. His new, old flesh one. And I squeezed.

"It's great. I love it."

He kissed my temple, and I felt my heart beat beneath his lips. My smile expanded, tears leaking from my eyes. I didn't move to wipe them away.

I sniffed, feeling and seeing his right hand turn, capture mine. And hold with a gentle, ever-present firmness. A promise.

I looked to him, studying the smile on his face, the shape of his eyes, the glow of his skin.

I smiled, seeing it all. And then, with an adventure behind me, I spoke.

"Let me draw you."

And I did.