With Time

As sleep left me, my surrounds became more clear. The pillow I was resting against wasn't made of feathers but instead a solid chest, my fingers perched against metal. I blinked, drawing myself upright and looking down. Looking at the sleeping figure below me.

He looked so peaceful, tucked away in some dream...

Memories threatened to tug, threatened to spill over and create a broken dam worth of pain. My ring finger ached, the ring it once wore long forgotten.

The bedroom door opened and instinct acted for me; I quickly slipped out of bed and stood up, trying to be as casual as possible as I stared at the wall.

Al's voice called my name, and I fought down another burst of shock.

"What're you doing standing near brother's bed? And why are you facing the wall?" I could practically see the wide eyes, the big finger half-heartedly pointing at me.

How the hell was I going to explain this? There's no way I would start telling Al how I actually wound up falling asleep next to Ed...

I spun around, making myself as normal and cheery as possible.

"Well, I noticed he hadn't really moved at all from when he fell asleep, so I was just turning him over to prevent a bed sore!"

Textbook lie. I felt horrible about it, but i was actually glad I could keep such a solid grin. I didn't answer Al's second question about the wall; digging any deeper might result in hitting a sewer pipe.

The wonderful soul inside the suit was innocent enough to accept my lie, and I felt my heart crack when he smiled at me.

"Oh. Well, okay! Thanks for looking out for him like that! I'm really glad we have someone like you!"

I tried to hold back the pressure building beneath my eyes. I allowed my grin to die down into a soft smile.

"Of course, Al," I said. "I'm more than happy to help."

If only he knew how the meaning of that statement had changed... I blushed, thankful he didn't see as he closed the door again, merry voice telling us that the train would be leaving soon.

This must have been what stirred Ed awake, because I heard his soft groans. I looked over, seeing him roll onto his side, eyes still shut in a light scowl.

"Nrr..." He seemed like he was still half-asleep. He shifted again, arm wrapping around the pillow I had moved when springing out of bed. His arm moved towards him, face finding the pillow as he muttered something.

I remembered the time. I leaned over, trying to quietly talk him awake.

But as soon as my voice reached his ears, I swear I saw the hook of his hair move a little on its own. His face shifted, half of one golden eye half-heartedly staring at me. The small amount that I saw just reminded me of when he gave his request. I thought back to last night, seeing him barely look towards me, pink still touching his face.

"I... Need you... I need the distraction..."

My stomach flipped, and as if on cue, Ed faced me completely, eyes snapping wide. Alarmed.

I leaned back, stepping back with one foot as he sprang into a crab position.

He regretted last night. I was sure of it.

Then, the expression faded. He tried to laugh, the sound weak as he bent one knee, elbow on his leg as his fingers dug through matted hair. Brows matted together.

I stayed against the wall, standing in complete silence. I could only think...

Was he regretting last night?