Answers

____________

I let out the smallest of sighs, utterly content, my fingers threaded between the spaces of his metal one.

A smile was on my face, and I couldn't remember when it had gotten there. If the train had been moving or not, or if the flow of passengers had put the expression on me.

I looked to the seat across from me, surprise ghosting against the space behind my chest. I was so used to seeing Al there.

"It's weird not having Al here."

I felt Ed nod against my head, the action light and subtle. "Yeah. I'm not sure if I've ever been on a train without him."

I moved my thumb against the side of his, stroking once. Trying to fill the silence as I thought.

"Where is he?"

"Somewhere safe," Ed replied. "We felt it was best for him not to be in the fray, given the extremity of the situation..."

I was quiet for a moment, and then the question that had been nipping at me since the beginning of this new chapter came forth. I spoke gently, thumb stroking the back of his flesh hand.

"Did you... Tell him about us?"

He nodded again, and I felt my heart skip before it began a quick, sinking descent. It didn't drag down very much, though, when I heard Ed's reply.

"I didn't go into any details," he said, and I could hear the small grin in his voice. He squeezed my hand, pressing our palms together a little bit more. "Just the fact that we had mutual, romantic feelings for each other."

I nodded, eyes closing as I turned my forehead against his shoulder. He shifted as well, nestling his temple against the crown of my hair.

"What'd he say?" I asked.

Ed nearly laughed; quiet sounds barely bubbling into the air before he spoke. "'Thank God. I thought something was going to catch on fire, with all that sexual tension between you two.'"

My eyes went wide in surprise, shock, and embarrassment; almost enough to pull me away from Ed.

"H-he actually told you that?!"

"Yeah." Ed grinned. "Surprised me, too!"

With a small hum, I relaxed against him, our hands gently cuddling just as much as the rest of us. I caught sight of an older lady sending us a smile from across the train. I smiled back at her, and for no reason at all except for a slight wonderful flare of my happiness, I spread my smile into a grin. Ed must have felt how my head shifted just a little bit at this, because he tried to nod. He spoke softly, playfully asking me what I was so happy about.

I closed my eyes, nestling against his shoulder a little more.

"I love you," I told him.

The slight weight of his head lifted, and immediately his lips planted a kiss to the corner of my forehead.

"You know I love you," he returned, murmuring against my skin.

"You've said it about ten times today already," I teased, feeling him snuggle against me again.

"Can't say it enough, Mirah."

I smiled at that, my hand holding his a little tighter and feeling him gently return the pressure.