Red Light

I woke up to the sound of Al gasping.

"Brother!"

There was a glimpse of red light; transmutation-like. Then it faded.

Ed's voice came through the darkness. "What? What is it, Al?"

I stood up, padding to the living room light lamp and flicking it on. "What's going on?"

I looked around the lit room, seeing nothing besides Ed sitting up on the couch. I couldn't see much of his face, only that his eyes were wide and Al was staring at him from his seat against the wall.

"I..." Ed blinked. "I can..." A grin overtook his face and he threw his arms up, falling back onto the couch. "I CAN SEE AGAIN!"

An immense amount of happiness came to me, and I felt tears rise to the edge of my eyes. He could actually see...? I held the edge of the doorframe, watching him put his hands in his hair, laughing from the sheer relief of it all. Al was laughing a little too, and I'm sure if I could see his face, he'd be crying like I was.

Ed breathed out as he sat up, that grin never leaving him. He said my name as he turned to me.

"Let's go celebrate!"

I looked at him, surprised. "What should we do?" I asked. "It's the middle of the night."

"I don't know, let's just do something!" He even threw his arms out to the side like a little kid when he said that. He sighed again, looking at my face. "I gotta say"—he turned, meeting Al's smiling gaze—"It's really great to see you guys again."

Bashfully, his hand went to the back of his head as he grinned at me. "I was getting pretty worried there for a sec'."

"Yeah..." I agreed, suddenly solemn as I leaned against the doorframe. "I was, too." I thought back, wondering what that light was. My stare shifted to Al, thinking if he saw it, too.

"Al..." I began, watching his head turn towards me. "Did you see that light?"

"Yeah," Al nodded, "I did."

Ed blinked at us. "What light? What're you talking about?"

"There was a red light," Al said, "Before you woke up. Like a transmutation."

"Transmutation?" Ed repeated. "That doesn't make any sense... How could I have transmuted..." His expression twisted in confusion. "Transmuted my eyesight back?!"

"What..." His hands were on his hair again as he looked around himself in quick shifts. "How... That doesn't..."
He sighed, sitting back down again. "I have no clue about any of that. And you said the light was red?"

Al nodded. "Yeah."

"Huh."

Ed got up, rolling off the couch and to his feet in one smooth motion. He popped the front of his coat out, looking at me from over his shoulder.

"So are we celebrating or what?" he asked.

I smiled, feeling a little bit of heat touch my face. "Give me a few minutes to get ready, okay?"

He nodded, one hand in his pocket. He was standing taller now, no longer the beaten defeated posture he'd had before. That strength was back, more than ever. I turned away, heading into my room again with a smile.

_____________

"Here you are, miss."

"Thank you..." I took the glass of champagne, watching as she set down the tray with more glasses and the bottle.