Within Pages, Part II

We were four hours into library books when I pulled myself away from all the texts.

Noticing there was no one around, noticing I was physically alone, I began wandering the hallways.

"Ed?" I tried again, stretching out his name. "Edddwaardd..."

I looked into an aisle as I passed it, seeing the glimpse of a book before his hands went behind his back. His eyes shut, face red.

I stopped in my tracks. "What're you reading?"

"Nothing."

I heard the sound of a book hitting the back of a shelf, but Ed kept his hands behind himself. He remained avoiding my gaze, and I started to search and see what section we were in. I only got a glimpse of a few human anatomy books before he had moved forward, grabbing my arm and pulling me away.

"You're probably hungry, right? We should get something to eat."

"Wait, hold on." I said, gently trying to tug away and go back. "What was that about?"

"Don't worry about it." A false smile was in his words. He pulled me along a bit quicker. "What'dyou feel like having? It's on me."

"You are NOT BUYING AGAIN!"

He grinned wider, a few people shushing my outburst. I looked towards them, blushing an apology and raising a palm.

"Sorry," I said. "He does that to me sometimes."

"I do a lot of things to you sometimes..."

I scolded him, reaching forward to lightly smack the back of his head. His grin didn't let up, his hand squeezing me a bit tighter.

We walked a bit further, passing aisles in search of who I figured was Alphonse. Edward had mentioned food but we weren't headed towards the exit.

I looked down at his hand, still holding my forearm and wrist with a gentler grip than before. After everything we've done, and especially after that comment he made, you'd think he'd be holding my hand...

I stopped brooding in my own disappointment as Ed suddenly stopped walking. I copied him, my other hand reaching out to stop myself on his back. I followed his stare to the aisle we stood at, immediately spotting the large metal suit sitting on the floor, piles of books surrounding him.

"Hey, Al."—At Ed's voice, Al looked up from the book in his hands—"We're gonna go grab something to eat. Shouldn't take too long."

"Alright," Al replied, moving back down to the book.

Ed regarded him for another moment, and I followed his gaze again to see all the Alchemy books littering the floor space around Al.

"And take a break while we're gone." Ed turned, pulling me away from the aisle. "Go look at some comics or something."

I looked over my shoulder at Alphonse, seeing him watch us. With one more look at the textbook, he stood up, brushing dust off his loincloth. Relief touched me. He needed a break. When things get quiet like this, the poor guy doesn't do much besides read and worry.

Ed lead me outside, where I squinted at the bright sunlight as we walked down the steps to the library. It was definitely hot out, and I wondered how Ed dealt with this kind of weather. He must be burning, with all the metal attached to his body...

We stopped at a map displayed nearby the library, something that pointed out restaurants and various shops around the city.

"So what do you feel like having?"

"I don't know." I kicked my weight to the side, leaning against his shoulder. "You're paying. You pick."

He smiled. "I like buying things for you." A grin came to his face. "Especially 'cause I got money to spend!"

A few passerbys looked to him, interested in what he said. No one approached us, of course, but the fact that it brought attention made me laugh a little behind my hand.

Ed took my fingers away, holding them below my mouth as I looked to him. He spoke quietly, teeth gritted a little.

"Would you stop doing that? That habit drives me crazy!"

I looked at him through my eyelashes, a sly smile coming to my lips.

"Find another way to shut me up then."

A blush ran along his face. He quickly looked away from the map, towards the way we came. Then he darted forward, pressing his lips to mine. I felt like I was glowing.

He pulled away softly, eyes opening to look into mine.

"There. That do it?"

I grinned, putting my forehead against his and resisting the urge to laugh like that again. "For now."

I heard him smile, felt the hand still holding my wrist squeeze a little tighter.

"Let's go get something to eat," he said.

My eyes opened as he pulled me along again, my steps soon placing me beside him. I didn't mind him holding me with his metal hand still. It was a little like a handcuff....

My face grew pink, embarrassed that I was having these thoughts in public.

I sensed Ed's gaze and turned to see him staring. He blushed, looking down at his feet.

Noticing his hand, he suddenly pulled it away. "Sorry. Am I hurting you?"

"No," I replied, taking his metal hand in mine. His face grew a little pinker. "It's fine."

He looked back down at his feet again, unsure of what to say. I smiled, leaning a little against him and tightening my grip on his hand, even though he probably couldn't feel it.

He moved his head, gently pressing the side of it to mine.

It was days like these where I actually enjoyed life.

____________

Our stomachs took refuge in a local sandwich shop, with ice cream afterwards. Once again, I picked at my raspberry scoop, sneaking glances as Ed devoured his colossal cone. This parlor wasn't Mr. Melvin's, but it was something...

Al was still sitting at that same spot, but upon spotting Ed and I approaching, waved his hand in pure defense.

"I-I took a break, I swear!" he said, arm folding and hand curling back. A false smile on his face, and I had to look away from the sight. "I read a comic about a crime-fighting rabbit! It was great!"

Ed frowned, regarding his brother. And then he bowed his head, sighing. "Sure. Thanks for listening."

"S-sure," Al replied, and just like that, we departed from the younger Alchemist. Ed had longed since stopped holding my hand, and I had long since stopped resting against his shoulder, however uncomfortable the metal may be. We walked side-by-side, and I took my hideaway on the armchair, my books right where I left them. Open to an alchemy illustration I had made sometime last June. It was sloppy work, but giving the consequences of my mind...

It was something. It was a finished product. I had to give myself that much credit, at least.

It was strange, seeing that moment engraved in a textbook.

It was strange, for sure.