The Games We Play

I walked out of the bedroom dressed and with the large blanket bundled in my arms. Ed was on the couch, and sneakily I peered over the back, seeing him continue to breathe, continue to sleep. But there wasn't a blanket on him. He was sleeping, completely exposed to the cold air.

Shock came to me, and I quickly fanned the blanket out above him, making sure it was covering him completely. The tips of his feet stuck out a little bit, and I struggled with the decision of pulling the blanket down and covering his socked toes or leaving as is and allowing his shoulders a bit more warmth. Ed shifted in his sleep, a tiny groan coming from him as his hand picked up the blanket's nearest end and pulled it closer to his face. Revealing a bit more of his socks and deciding for me. He sniffed, and I wondered if he had a cold coming on.

Guilt bloomed in my stomach as I padded over to the small kitchen, searching for some kind of tea I could make him.

The door to my left opened, and with a tea bag in between two fingers, I looked over to see Al walk in. He stopped in the doorway, staring at Ed like he was surprised to see him on the couch.

"We're not behind schedule are we?" I asked in a whisper.

Al noticed me, and quickly shook his head. "N-no! I was just wondering why that blanket was on him!"

I paused, wondering why Al would be wondering such a thing. I turned back to the stove, putting the tea bag in the kettle and flipping the lid closed.

"He has others, doesn't he?" I asked.
Al smiled. "Is that what he told you?" He laughed a little, shaking his head. "He's never made a blanket in his life except for that one. He made it for you!"

My stare went to Ed again, still perfectly asleep with that giant blanket almost covering him completely. I felt a warmth in my stomach, one that felt like I actually had that blanket on me now...

Ed stirred, a groan floating from his furrowed lips. He sat up, blanket hanging off of one shoulder, and turned to us. Staring with one half-open eye. I guess it must have looked a little strange; Al and I standing by a tea pot, staring at him while his brother smiled and I blushed.

Ed tried to open both eyes, looking down at the blanket covering one side of his body.

"Wh'dj 'ou put this on me for?" he asked, and I did everything in my power not to grin.

I failed, trying to hide my smile behind my hand as I leaned over towards Al.

"Does he always talk like that after waking up?" I whispered.

Al giggled, obviously just as amused as I was. "Sometimes. Only after a really deep sleep."

With the blanket held over his shoulder by one hand, Ed stood up, stretching his eyes wide. He shuffled towards us, trying to wipe the sleep from his eyes.

"I gave this to you," he told me, voice a little less groggy. When he was close enough, the blanket was suddenly thrown at me. Landing directly on my head and over my face.

Ed continued on, feet padding past Al and I. "So keep it," he yawned.

I raised a hand, moving the edge of the blanket that was draped over one eye, glaring at him in half-play and half-actual irritation.

Ed grinned, hands in his pockets as he leaned against the counter opposite of me.

"That's a good look on you," he said. "If we ever need to go undercover, we'll just throw that over your head and you'll be good to go!"

I almost laughed at that, but luckily the tea kettle sounded and interrupted my focus. I grabbed the blanket, sliding it forward and draping it over my arm again.