Rush Valley

Rush Valley was a place we had passed by many times, but never ventured into.

I just thought of the ride we took to Dublith, all those months ago. How the train had called for Rush Valley, and how both brothers got silent as the speakers crackled into silence.

I could only think, and with the amount of automail here, I could only remember the daughter of the Rockbells.

On our way to a smith, we passed by shops and stores and display windows. One of the products caught my eye, a shield of glass separating us. But almost as soon as my eyes landed on it, Al spoke.

"Winry would like that!" And then his hand was to his mouth, as if he could catch the words and put them back.

"Yeah..." The word sounded so deadbeat, so empty coming from Ed. He didn't even look, instead continuing on with his back hunched. And I could only remember how he was in Dublith, how his posture was so low...

I didn't hold his hand this time, instead continuing on with his suitcase bumping against my back legs. My eyes trailing over all the shining automail...

Eventually, we made it to Arsene, a craftman in south Rush Valley. I gave him the blueprint, a page torn from my sketchbook.

It was the first sketch to be ripped from those pages...

I swallowed down all the fear, his waiting gaze expecting me to explain.

So, I did.

"Well, see..."

As I spoke, my other hand pointing out various things, my mind drifted over to Edward. Wondering how he was doing, leaning against the tent pole, that frown still on his face. It had been there ever since we stepped foot into Rush Valley.

I sensed, heard, nearly felt his footstep away from the pole, and I heard his brief yawn.

"I'm gonna go get somethin' to eat." His voice turned towards me, asking if I wanted something, and my brain was glad for the distraction. Something to completely rid me of staring at the blueprint coming to life.

I smiled as best as I could, shaking my head lightly. "No," I told him. "I'm alright."

He nodded, suddenly a little serious now, and a moment later he was gone. Leaving Al and I alone.

I tried to calm the quickening of my heart, the beat that longed to make a match with his. But I couldn't—wouldn't—be able to. So I stayed reclusive, silent, static. The kind of frozen that has to be chipped away with something sharp in order to thaw.

And right now my sculptor was Ed.

__________

We retired to an inn nearby Rush Valley, at a small town name Thal. Speaking over hot tea, we conversed of nothing important and then retired for the night. Ed was distant, taking one of the two beds and saying nothing. No words of play and no gentle kisses. No embraces, either, leaving me with a distraught mind and snarls of the stomach.

I wasn't sure what to make of it all, using the pieces I had. Winry, Rush Valley, Dublith...

I wasn't sure what puzzle was forming, but I knew I didn't have enough pieces to complete the picture.

That much, I knew.

__________

"Welp, here we are!"

Ed finished stretching out, spinning behind himself to stare at us. Al, with his usual smile, and myself, masked and holding his suitcase. He was... much more chipper than usual.

I thought back to my frozen state, the statue I was carving with Ed's presence. Chipper. It was an analogy that brought a cheeky grin to my face; a mask that I tried to cover with a loose fist, a limp fold of the hand.

The weapon was unveiled, uncovered with a swipe of the blanket. Shiny, the points that would go over and extend my fingers sharper than I expected. About four inches in length.

"Thanks!" And Ed paid before I could reach into my bag. Not that I had enough money to cover the cost, anyway.

I quietly thanked him, and with a small blush, he gave me an even smaller nod. Still so happy...

Was it because we were leaving? Was it because we were done with this town?

I didn't know, and the weapon was silent, secured against my upper-thigh. Strap covering the center of my scar.

We were armed better now. Stronger, with another weapon. One that could pull stones directly from the homunculus.

I could only hope it would be enough.